Shipping Container

howa243

Am thinking about replacing my caravan with a shipping container and converting it for staying in, when at the wood. I am told that they suffer from condensation and wonder if anyone here has any experience of doing this?

Am thinking about replacing my caravan with a shipping container and converting it for staying in, when at the wood. I am told that they suffer from condensation and wonder if anyone here has any experience of doing this?
Never done one out for living in but they are always soaking wet in the winter inside with condensation!

What benefit are you looking for ?
Security ? No as you will have to make a new door so can get out.
Light ? containers don't have windows.
They do suffer from condensation even though they have purge valves.

Even the rough ones attract metal thieves we had one cut up and removed from a wood in a night ! all that was left was about 4'x4' of panel and aload of cutting disks.

ATB

Wouldn't you require planning permission as well? Could be an issue there, your best battening it out then using spray insulation that sticks to the walls. First fit, plaster board and skim and apply fixture and fittings.

The spray insulation is the key factor, as if you leave a gap (cavity) you will just condensation form and have damp on your walls.

Don't do it. It just isn't worth it.
You have no idea how wet with condensation one person can make it. The huge metal surface area will also make it incredibly cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
I've been forced to live in them in all climates, in right arsehole areas of the world. They're bloody miserable unless completely modified until hardly recognizable as a container. You're talking thousands just to make bearable.

:rofl: Bloody hell. I have been thinking about it for weeks. should have saved myself the time and asked you lot first. Wasn't thinking about sharing it with 35 Afghans but it seems even without that its not a great idea.

I can only echo everyone else. We used to have them as sheds/workshops at the place I worked for. In winter they were as cold as outside even with a heater going, and in summer they were like ovens.

Wouldn't you require planning permission as well? Could be an issue there, your best battening it out then using spray insulation that sticks to the walls. First fit, plaster board and skim and apply fixture and fittings.

The spray insulation is the key factor, as if you leave a gap (cavity) you will just condensation form and have damp on your walls.

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. But am having second and third thoughts now.

I keep my quad and keepering kit in one they can suffer from damp I use a dehumidifier in mine my boss has over 300 for use as storage by the general public all without insulation .the problem comes with warm and damp objects being stored inside during winter where it is colder outside .ive seen and used ones converted as onsite offices with windows extra doors and plumbing Ect all with shutters for security .contact large site hire company who may have old stuff in the corner of a yard somewhere .
norma

Hi, I've used shipping containers in the past on a number of syndicate shoots, they're very secure (providing you modify the locking mechanism) but if you want to sleep over in them you need to do some internal lining - they do indeed sweat.
If you don't line them they're bloody cold and just your body heat will cause condensation.
Most containers these days have built in vents so there's not much risk but you need to make sure there is no risk whilst you're in it.
My last one I built a stud wall - using an old front door and setting this just behind the container doors. This allows the container door to be locked open and yet still secure. You can just add some 2" battens fixed to the wall, infill with loft insulation and fit 12mm ply sheets over some polythene sheeting (vapour barrier) most important is the roof. It really is simple and easy to do.
If you're boarding remember to maintain the vents!
My last one had a log burner (be careful fitting heaters!-good venting + carbonmonoxide monitor) folding bunk beds from the wall plus all mod cons.
If you deck out, you'll be warm, secure, less condensation, warmer and less dampness between visits.
One other thing to consider is a portakabin - site offices - you can pick these up for similar prices and they often come with steel doors and window guards - these are pre-lined and insulated.
You can tell I work in the construction industry :D one major thing to remember, you'll need a Wagon with lifting - caravans you can tow !
Cheers
Mark

If you insulate it correctly and maintain the air flow you should be warm and have no condensation basic house building really !

I have a shipping container which is as above,cold etc,,but I managed to pick up a slight fire damaged site office portacabin,which is fully insulated,doors ,windows and is 2ft wider than a container no sweating and can be easily heated

some containers have already been lined .Have windows with metal grills over them and doors already fitted.They use them for site offices.

I have three of the 20 foot versions around the lakes for tool storage.
The oldest one, bought 10 years ago and not even close to new then suffers badly with condensation.
While the latest one, bought new about 4 years ago is well ventilated and even when I put the quad, trailer
and tools away wet lets everything dry out by the following weekend. Air flow around the containers is the
crucial thing though, a year ago for security reason we had to move two on to the same sight, and actually
welded them together, that stopped them breathing, now we have installed 4 roof vents on each, problem solved.

Neil. :)

I have three of the 20 foot versions around the lakes for tool storage.
The oldest one, bought 10 years ago and not even close to new then suffers badly with condensation.
While the latest one, bought new about 4 years ago is well ventilated and even when I put the quad, trailer
and tools away wet lets everything dry out by the following weekend. Air flow around the containers is the
crucial thing though, a year ago for security reason we had to move two on to the same sight, and actually
welded them together, that stopped them breathing, now we have installed 4 roof vents on each, problem solved.

Neil. :)

Excellent advice, thank you.

We looked into buying 1 a few years ago, dunno wot the price is now but then was around £1000.
If ur in th right place at the right time u can get free ones folk want rid of of site's

But if ur having to buy then transport it plus the lining/strapping/insulation ur looking at a bit of cash for something that is never that ideal.
U'd get a bloody tidy static for 500 quid, also plenty of free ones if u get lucky.

Over the years had plenty of containers broken into no matter how fancy the locks were on them, if folk want in they WILL get in

Back