Bought my first binoculars yesterday

seanct

A keeper who I'm friendly with allowed me to take a buck if one presented itself on a block of forestry that a man couldn't cover on foot if he had all day. I have been saving for some binoculars for a good while and I thought it would of been about time to buy them.
Anyway I picked some up before my journey north. I christened them on a doe 500 yards from the track simply enjoying the first rays of sun after a rainy day. I wouldn't of spotted it with my naked eye and it was a pleasure to watch as I've only ever stumbled on deer in season.
I had a cracking stalk and I could of grassed two does, I saw an extra 6 does and one buck but I didn't seen him until it was too late. Stupidly. He was ten foot above a doe I was watching and I had the blinkers on.

I suppose what I'm getting at is I wouldn't of seen three of the deer without binos.
I also stood ten feet away from a fox that didn't know I was there... until my mate followed me even though I was giving him hand signals to stop. We also saw a mink too.
So it was a dry stalk but I got to play with a new toy, exercise and see some beautiful countryside and a few beasts too. What more does a man need.
Thankyou for reading.

A reasonable pair of binoculars are an absolute pleasure to possess. I would rather forsake my rifle than my binoculars.
I sat in a high seat last evening overlooking a beautiful part of Somerset watching a roe doe for nearly 45 minutes, it was only at very last light that a largish buck emerged. Unfortunately he didn't hang around long enough for me to get a good look at him. The quick flash that I got of him suggested that he was probably of medal standard so I would not have raised a rifle to him but I do feel slightly disappointed that I didn't get the chance to admire him properly through my treasured binoculars.

What binns mate ???

The cheaper model of minox I can't remember model name. I didn't want to name drop as it then goes in the accessories section. The point I was making was how much better my experience was with binoculars as a tool and not which binos I was using.
Bloody good though ;)

Afford the best you can, with optics you get what you pay for. Very pleased with my Leica Geovid 10x42. At £1900 lot cheaper than the new range finder Swaro's at £2500 !

I also enjoy looking for deer with my bins. I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x I paid $299 US a couple of years ago and I think they are really good...... saying that I did look through a pair of Swarovski's recently and they were really nice! Out of my range right now though.
Seanct, well done on the close stalk!

I use my Lieca 10x42's at night, when calling the range/s on fox for Mike, He returns the favour when I'm on the rifle.:norty::tiphat:, Glad the op had such an eye opening day out!:cool:

A reasonable pair of binoculars are an absolute pleasure to possess. I would rather forsake my rifle than my binoculars.
I sat in a high seat last evening overlooking a beautiful part of Somerset watching a roe doe for nearly 45 minutes, it was only at very last light that a largish buck emerged. Unfortunately he didn't hang around long enough for me to get a good look at him. The quick flash that I got of him suggested that he was probably of medal standard so I would not have raised a rifle to him but I do feel slightly disappointed that I didn't get the chance to admire him properly through my treasured binoculars.

Totally agree my binos are going to the grave with me. Life would just nit be as full without them. Good glass is a pleasure to own and use.

Back