Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .303 Ruger Conversion

.303 Ruger Conversion

I have a slot to aquire a .303 for stalking, my original thought was to try and find a nice Lee Speed or similar.
    However another thought that crossed my mind was to build a classic single shot based on the Ruger No1. Has any one had any experience of re-barrelling a Ruger No1 action, and is there anyone that can recommend a riflesmith who can, or more to the point would do this type of conversion.
    Many thanks
    The ORDNANCE QF 18 pounder Field Gun......I wonder if they will let me have one of these on an open ticket

No advice I'm afraid apart from 'it's a brilliant idea' you have to do it and post photos !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Not sure but might be worth a PM to jäger sa

Ruger built a run of No. 1 rifles with 24-inch barrels and sights in .303 British just a few years ago. Most of them went to Canada. I have seen several for sale on the Internet, but not soon enough to grab one.

I am almost sure Ruger did a limited factory run of No1's in 303. I doubt if very many of them made it to this side of the pond.

Great idea though. I would think you might need some extractor work done if the donor action is from a rimless round.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Ruger will do a run of things like .303, 9.3x74R, 6.5x55 SWE, .257 Roberts if a distributor will order 250 of them. That is how most of these were made. The distributor samples Ruger collectors and fans, and dealers, and sort of pre-sells them. If you could get a distributor there to do the same, I bet Ruger would run off a batch.

Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall
    I know it's a weird one and you would need a variation (which i suspect isn't feasible) but if you handload why not try a 303 wildcat.
    Hunting bullets are harder and harder to get in .311 so a 303 necked down to .308 or up to .338 would be easier both getting barrels and bullets.
    Whatever you decide, I can recommend Richard Pope at Swift Rifles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	47589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	47590 Here you go Ruger No 1 303 Custom . This is not mine but I am going to build a 35 Whelen international & it so happens my brother is going to build a No1 in Stainless with a 28" long gun in 303 British We own between us around 12x No1's & 1 x No3 from 22 Hornet too 458lott , I have a friend in the US who is a No 1 nut & is going to sauce are barrels etc , if you need any hard to find parts for your build shoot me a PM .. Good luck with your build

I have rebarreled a few. Not a daunting proposition. I always wanted a #3 in 30-40 Krag but never connected with one...~Muir

Sako a friend of mine has or had exactly the sort of rifle you are looking for, I haven't seen him for some time so he may have disposed of it but I doubt it. His rifle was built by Lou Potter of Cheltenham the same guy who writes regularly in Shooting Times. While slightly heavy it is a beautiful rifle and shot well.
    Apparently Mr Potter commented on the hardness of the receiver when engraving the side walls, they are very hard.

I am told that Mr Potter doesn't do much gunsmithing these days as he is pretty much retired preferring to concentrate on his writing and his son has taken over. Perhaps his son would be interested in building such a rifle for you. Incidentally a couple of our club members have .243 Mauser actioned rifles made by Mr Potter. The rifles are pretty workmanlike and basic but the quality of his work can't be faulted.
    Last edited by 8x57; 07-10-2014 at 07:14.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.