Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Study by Livsmedelsverket (Swedish into lead in game meat

Study by Livsmedelsverket (Swedish into lead in game meat

Here's a study by the Swedish food department and the biggest hunting organisation into lead in game meat. Published today.

Search - News News Releases Comments Webcasts Revocations Press Photos Food Administration in Social Media Subscribe

Home> News> Press releases> New advice for reducing lead ...
    Share on facebook on twitter hare hare hare email on one print
    New advice for reducing lead in game meat from the news archive 2014-10-06
    To often eat wild meat could mean that one has to unhealthy amounts of lead unless the game is shot cleared properly. It shows the NFA survey among Swedish hunters' families. To reduce the risk of getting into the high levels of lead shot must clear the meat is much more than what was previously known. Choosing a lead-free ammunition is another way to avoid lead in wild game.

Food Administration and the Swedish Hunters Association survey among 74 Swedish hunter families who consumed wild meat at least twice a month, the major consumers of game meat has higher levels of lead in their blood compared to people who never eat wild meat.

-Then Levels of lead in the blood is generally located high in the population, so there is every reason to reduce the lead they ingest. To clear the shot more is a simple measure that is likely to have a major effect says Rickard Bjerselius, toxicologist at NFA

Food Administration, Swedish Association for Hunting and SVA has also mapped how blyfragment spreads in wild meat around sårkanalen to see how much you have to clean the meat at slaughter to the levels of lead should not be high. The results show that the levels of lead are very high almost sårkanalen and decreases with increasing distance.

- Even if the meat looks unaffected out there are high levels of lead in the part we know that many people use to ground beef and stew beef. To cut away by a margin of at least 10 cm to affect meat around sårkanalen do you reduce the levels of lead up to 1000 times, says Rickard Bjerselius.

NFA is now giving new advice for reducing the risk of getting into the lead when eating game meat. It is the meat of sårkanalen where the bullet hit and it affected the meat next door, and a further 10 cm seemingly unaffected meat not used for food, but discarded. Piece parts that are far from sårkanalen such as steak, tenderloin, neck, thighs and place deemed not to have elevated levels of lead and can be consumed as they are.

- Previous advice to children and pregnant was to avoid certain meats, but the best solution is, of course, that this problem is solved already in broiler shed. The meat is supposed to be safe for everyone to eat. The easiest way to get rid of lead residue in the wild game meat is otherwise using lead-free ammunition, continues Rickard Bjerselius.
    While all that handle commercial bushmeat are encouraged to follow the advice to clear the shot wild game.

NFA, National Veterinary Institute and Swedish Hunters Association has since 2011 explored the levels of lead in wild game after game animals shot with lead ammunition.

Facts about lead:
    Lead is ubiquitous in the environment, in the air, land and water. The spread of lead into the environment has fallen, partly because we now use unleaded petrol. Lead is, however, in most foods, but in low concentrations.
    Long-term exposure to lead can affect the brain, cardiovascular system and kidneys. Effects on the brain of fetuses and young children are the most sensitive effect, ie that occurring at the lowest exposure levels. This can affect mental development in fetuses and young children, which can lead to lower intelligence quotient (IQ). In adults considered to be the most sensitive effects of chronic kidney disease and the impact on blood pressure.

There are several studies that measured lead levels in the blood of adults and children and in general it can be summarized that the levels have decreased dramatically since the 1970s, to the levels in Sweden are somewhat lower than in other European countries and the levels found in children is lower than in adults. The European Food Safety Authority, EFSA considers that the exposure of fetuses and children in Europe is close to or above levels that are considered to have negative health effects, so it is therefore important that the lead levels continue to decline in food and environment.

Lead poisoning can occur if one is exposed to very high levels of lead. It gives vague symptoms such as fatigue, constipation and poor appetite. Additionally, the red blood cells are affected, which can result in anemia. High exposures can also lead to nerve function in limbs lost, which can lead to partial paralysis. These effects do not arise from exposure through food, because the exposure time is significantly lower.

Facts about hunting and game meat in Sweden
    In Sweden there are about 300,000 hunters, which means that an estimated one in ten Swedish eat venison from hunting within the family or extended family. Wild game meat is a food resource that is good for both the environment and nutrition. Hunting is also a positive pastime for practitioners, as it contributes to the quality of life and physical activity.

More about lead in venison
    Google Translate för företag:ÖversättningsverktygWebbplatsöversättareGl obal Market Finder
    Last edited by Jagare; 07-10-2014 at 14:52.

To cut away by a margin of at least 10 cm to affect meat around sårkanalen do you reduce the levels of lead up to 1000 times, says Rickard Bjerselius.
    This is my take away thought. Thanks for posting.

ps. I take it the sarka whatsit is the wound channel, yes?

Ummm interesting... I only eat game and have done for about 5 years now...that's why I am putting weight on, all that lead.

Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by gubrath View Post
    This is my take away thought. Thanks for posting.

Yes, it is.

10cm is a lot more than I'd have expected.

Thanks Jagare. Now need to get a metal detector for the mince in my freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by gubrath View Post
    Wondered this myself "wound channel" translated to swedish via google = "sår kanal".

SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Lead poisoning can occur if one is exposed to very high levels of lead.

How do these "very high" levels compare to the "higher levels of lead" in the blood of "major consumers of game meat" compared to people who "never eat wild meat"?

I suspect the answer involves the phrase "orders of magnitude".
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

The Norwegian hunting association has also looked into this. They concluded that bonded bullets or leadfree can reduce the amount of meat that needs to be cut away from the wound channel.

All very interesting, but seemed quite vague as to if the higher levels found in those eating game twice a month were dangerously high or just higher than those not eating any game. One would quite expect the former to be higher than the latter.
    Makes a good case for shooting them in the head though.

Certainly emphasises the case for head-shooting rabbits, don't you think?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. William Blake

There's some X-rays of chest shot deer showing the lead particles of the bullet distributed around. It is surprising and also a little alarming but at the same time is it one of those 'problems' which people feel the need to fix for the sake of fixing? I mean, how many hunters are presenting with symptoms of lead poisoning?

Edited to add pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deer-x-ray-e1362339216203.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	47647