Fallow Rut

Nothing on Sunday morning in north Essex. In fact hardly any deer about in traditional rutting areas.

Nothing this morning up near Woodbridge. Managed a couple of bucks but no grunting. I have seen loads of routing stands though so can't be far away.

We were out in Cirencester tuesday, No grunting but lots of dopey prickets running about. Shot a pricket and a sorrell both of them had that lovely musky odour about them.Bucks are grunting in the Wye valley Hopefully should kick off this weekend in Cirencester.Roll on the does in November and some nice cold crisp mornings and the cover dying off a bit.
Regards sean

It's that wonderful time when you have the best of both worlds IMHO. Bucks are occasionaly groaning, stands are starting to be established but bucks are moving about/fighting, rather stupid and yet are in peak condition and fit for the gamedealer. All we need is some cold weather!

Heard a few grunts last night and the deer are a bit smelly now with carcasses showing a few puncture wounds .
norma

Had one Buck grunting at me and a Dane Client I accompanied for someone as we approached where we wanted to get to on Sat (11th) Morning near Woodbridge followed by two distinct sets of antler clashes underway in the woodland in opposite directions from our position. Another Dane Client reported hearing a Buck Grunting on the opposite side of estate. Didn't hear anything Sat Night when out, but it had significantly warmed up by then. Sun Morning same place as Sat Morning and there was again a couple of grunts from within the woods followed by three separate clashes of antlers. Went in to try and stalk on to them, but didn't manage it.

Keeper reported seeing two of the smaller bucks furiously scrapping the night before about 80 yds from our original position and you could see signs of a few scrapes in locations surrounding the area.

Had a wander through Burghley Park,Stamford last evening, small bucks moving about,no grunting,even big bucks lay together. On my own bit just getting an odd grunt nothing serious.

Out last night had a buck rounding up 30 or so does then starting thrashing the trees. Didn't hear anymore about so hopefully end of the month things will be in full flow
atb Steve

Mixed results. Watched a large group of does with 4 big bucks in the group. All happy. 500 m away watched a big buck smashing trees and grunting with a much bigger buck laid down ignoring him. A little bit of staining only.

Last edited:
I had a look around this afternoon for activity but couldn't find a single scrape, haven't heard a single buck grunt while out over the last 10 days. Its rather dead in this part of Essex.

Rut Warwickshire ,a mate of mine was out and said it was very quiet , not much happening yet ? Wondered if any one else up there had seen or heard much ?

fallow buck.jpgtook this big boy off a rutting stand yesterday morning, west Sussex, empty stomach and stinky, rutt is on down here

Back