stainless actions

soother223

Just wondering what you guys use to wipe down your rifles? And also what do you wipe or put on the inside of your stainless actions (where the bolt slides) to prevent them corroding?

Hi

I have a SS Tikka M595 - wipe off/dry any moisture, then wipe over with a clean cloth impregnated with Browning Legia (cloth used over again), including the bolt slides with a lightly oiled ear bud, leave to air before putting away.

L

Last edited:
Just wondering what you guys use to wipe down your rifles? And also what do you wipe or put on the inside of your stainless actions (where the bolt slides) to prevent them corroding?

You should find that stainless steel is particularly resistent to corrosion. If the action is dry it wont corrode in stainless. If it is wet make sure the entire rilfle is dry before putting in cabinet for lengths of time. Remove action from stock if caught in a downpoor until it's dry. Run bolt including lugs dry, unless you have a bolt lug recess cleaner and intend to use it. Lubricant here is likely to cause more harm than good as grit will stick to it.

Blued rifles require a bit more care and will benefit from being entirely wiped down with a lightly oiled rag or sprayed/wiped with silicon spray. Don't use the silicon as a bolt lubricant though as again, it'll cause more harm than good.

Interesting. So if you buy a stainless action n barell you have to take as much care of it as a blued rifle? I havent got any stainless rifles but I was thinking of getting one as I thought it would stand up better to abuse and rain than my standard blued ones......... Interesting guess i'll save my money and get them cerakoted!!

i have got stainless had 1 coated other glass blasted , to keep them water tight i use browning legia spray gun oil also get the green tin if you have a wooded stock on the all parts. but use bolt slick to run the bolt on.

Stainless steel is just grades of more corrosion resistance.

Gun barrels are made of Martensitic stainless steel which has poorer resistance against corrosion than normal austenitic stainless steel. Having said that it will outperform any blued type finish. I am not sure about corrosion resistance of modern cerakote finishes etc.

Back