Thread: New to it all

New to it all

Hey everyone.

I've often thought about the idea of hunting my own food, but never thought it was possible in this country. After a bit of googling around it seems like I was wrong!

I've got no idea of how to get started, I don't know anyone who goes deer stalking, I've never even held a gun. So I thought this might be a good place to get an idea of where to go about getting started.

Look fella's, a virgin ! Be gentle with him.

Seriously Hux, this site is like Aladdins Cave. There is a ton of information that will keep you absorbed for hours and the people who use it will answer
    ANY question you can think up. What area do you live?

Good luck on your new venture.

thers lots to hunt and good your going to eat it have fed my familey for over 30 years on what i got off the hill enjoy the site enjoy steroid free deer more

I'm from Dorset.. So I'm assuming the best place to look would be around the New Forest? Anywhere else I should look into around this county?

How long does it take and what are the costs of getting qualified with a rifle, and training in the basics of deer stalking? Basically I want to get an idea of what it will take to get me out there hunting, a general outline of the process needed, probably a bit too much to ask in one question, but asking never hurt anyone :p

Also are there many people into bow hunting in the UK? I understand it must be a very difficult skill to master, but it's something that really appeals to me.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

bow hunting is banned in the uk and rightly so

Quote Originally Posted by PAULT View Post
    bow hunting is banned in the uk and rightly so
    I would have liked to have had the opportunity to hunt like my ancestors, but I suppose the moral justifications for having it banned outweigh my petty desire to hunt with self crafted materials.

So I guess I'll have to focus my research solely on rifle then, what's that likely to set me back?
    Last edited by Hux; 28-02-2010 at 22:49.