308 rifles popularity

dropmdead

Are 308 rifles so popular that everyone keeps a hold of theirs and hence few ever come up for sale?
Looking through the adds here and on other forums, it seems that the good old 308 is a keeper. ...

??

Have look on Guntrader - there are masses.

Though that is also an indicator of popularity - the numbers for sale are a pretty accurate proportional sample of the total number in use.

I like it so much I have 2 :)

It's a no nonsense, does what it says on the tin in a very competent fashion.
There are loads for sale but good rifles in good nick go quickly.

Took a little while to warm to the calibre but now I don't see me getting rid. Loads of bullet choice to mess about with on the loading bench. Every one should try one at least. Be careful though as you'll have to be very creative to convince your FAO the need for 7.

Took a little while to warm to the calibre but now I don't see me getting rid. Loads of bullet choice to mess about with on the loading bench. Every one should try one at least. Be careful though as you'll have to be very creative to convince your FAO the need for 7.

One for each day of the week?~Muir

Should I ditch the .243 and get one?

The reason I ask is I love the .243 but have an 8 x 60. Would the .308 fill a gap I didn't know I had? I got the .243 as plod originally said that was all I could have. I have grown to love the calibre and it does all I need from it. Got the 8 mm now for bigger stuff.

Serious question chaps.

Lots of people I know have 243s and also have 308s I'll bet most of them use the 308 when it comes to shooting deer and the 243s hardly leave the cabinets 'personally I gave up my 243 when I got my 308 but then I've a 22/250 as well so I find between the two I've got everything coverd 308 is just a 243 that hits harder'243 shoots flatter for further but as always on bigger deer shot placement needs to be spot on . Really down to you for fox and roe here in Scotland don't think you can fault a 243 shoots flat and hits hard.308 not so flat shooting but anything it hits in the uk is going to fall over. In the words of sd get both...

Are 308 rifles so popular that everyone keeps a hold of theirs and hence few ever come up for sale?
Looking through the adds here and on other forums, it seems that the good old 308 is a keeper. ...

Any rifle that is good and shoots well should be a keeper. 308 is a popular calibre around the world as it basically the same as the 7.62 Nato, and thus the default calibre for Military rifles (up until the adoption of the M16, SA80 etc), law enforcement and full bore target shooting. Naturally this fed across to the hunting world. Ammo is avaialbel just about anywhere, and most 308 will also digest 7.62 Military and target ammo, so that gives you lots of cheap ammo for target shooting / practice with. There were also lots of good but cheap rifles available for 308 ammo including things like the Enfield Envoy, which was the civvie version of the British army sniper rifle.

All these made a 308 one of the 3 standard deer stalking calibres - the others being the 243 win and 270 win. Yes there are plenty of other calibres out there, but if you not really interested in calibres, more are just wanting a rifle that works chances are you will have a 243 if mostly shooting smaller deer / vermin, and 308 or 270 if shooting larger deer out on the open hill.

Should I ditch the .243 and get one?

The reason I ask is I love the .243 but have an 8 x 60. Would the .308 fill a gap I didn't know I had? I got the .243 as plod originally said that was all I could have. I have grown to love the calibre and it does all I need from it. Got the 8 mm now for bigger stuff.

Serious question chaps.
Ade8mm -
If you can get 150 to 154-gr bullets shooting in the 8x60S, it will be like a .30-06, so no, you won't need a .308 Win.
I have two 8x57s which shoot hot 150-gr flat base FMJ or Hornady, sub MOA, one with open sights, the other with a Lyman aperture. So I am keen on getting my 8x60S to shoot the 150s at any speed it likes.

Back