Flat shooting .243 ammo for fox and small deer

dan71

Hi i just got a howa .243 and just wondered what ammo people like best for fox and deer up to roe

Give the new Hornady 75 grain SST's a go. I find them very flat and superb for fox, however I still favour the Geco 105 grain for anything bigger than Muntjac.

I use 55Hr Winchester Silvertips in my 243. Very fast, very flat and super accurate in my 243.

Give the new Hornady 75 grain SST's a go. I find them very flat and superb for fox, however I still favour the Geco 105 grain for anything bigger than Muntjac.

+1 on the SST. I shoot both the 75 and 95 grain as they both shoot under 1 moa and to the same poa so no need to change zero between them.

75 gn Remington Accu tips for foxes and their 95 gn version for deer....
Shot a few foxes with the 95 whilst waiting for Muntjac but it tends to travel through them, unlike the 75 which will exit but a hole the size of your fist....
No real difference in where they go, I zero at 200 and they both are quite close off the sticks..

Tim.243

factory fed 85g bthp using the gameking

handload - 87g hornady bthp behind 35.5 ish of varget (worked in mine anyway, but do your own testing)

Back in the day, when Guns & Ammo was still a publication your local Newspaper Boy happily delivered tucked into a copy of the Torygraph without need of counselling, I dreamt of a 243 and loaded with Federal 87g Hollow Point Premium Grade. And that's just what I later purchased along with my Dumoulin at the Otford Gun Room prior to heading to Glenisla for my first stalking experience with FCS.

My Ranger did not question my choice of ammo and after the first 3 test shots clover leafed on a cardboard box of indistinct aiming mark shot prone with no support and at a distance I still cannot be sure of he took me stalking. 5 days later and 23 red hinds in the bag for 24 cartridges I travelled back down South a very happy and significantly more fulfilled young male.

It seemed flat shooting enough to me and just as the rockchuck hunter in the 1973 edition of Guns Digest had suggested.

Granted he hadn't mentioned deer but we may all learn from our mistakes. Or not!

K

A friend is dual loading for the 243, he uses nosler interbonds for the deer which is expensive but as he says. One clean shot dear pays for them.
He then uses 55gr varmingedons on the fox. Omg! Talk about flat and smash. Only downside is the barrel burning.

flat shooting .243. my R's

well if it shoots flat ill eat my beret,

a typical APFSDS 120mm challenger 2 round will travel at around 1,740 m/per second (that's about 5,700 feet per second)and it has a laser sight and on board computer system that takes in the drop, wind speed at vehicle end, air temp and pressure but to mention a few of its extras, over its capable range from 400 yards to 3,200 kilometres

and surprise surprise it does not have a flat trajectory.

bob.

I think you will find that ALL projectiles will scribe the same arc,so there is no such thing as a flat shooting round.......quicker yes......flatter no.

Back