Very high arches (feet).......recommendations

teyhan1

My feet suffer from very high arches. Only my heel and front of my foot show on an imprint.
For those of you who don't suffer here's a diagram. To work out what you have, dip your foot in a bath of water then stand on a tile and you'll be left with an imprint.
View attachment 47862
After a days hard walking in wellies, standing up to go to bed can be very painful.
So what footwear do other people use?
Strangely my best boots are my Lundhags, but I think that is because they don't really bend.
I'm going to need some new wellies soon too.

They do insole add ons feller think it was at I have got standard wide

feet so don't get a prob i am happy to say i use muck ta'sport at the mo , and my north ridge walking boots if not to sticky.

The SOF Sole High Arch Insole adds comfort, stability and reduces the risk of injury during runs, hikes and sports.
Read more

My feet suffer from very high arches. Only my heel and front of my foot show on an imprint.
For those of you who don't suffer here's a diagram. To work out what you have, dip your foot in a bath of water then stand on a tile and you'll be left with an imprint.
View attachment 47862
After a days hard walking in wellies, standing up to go to bed can be very painful.
So what footwear do other people use?
Strangely my best boots are my Lundhags, but I think that is because they don't really bend.
I'm going to need some new wellies soon too.
I use German para boots with gel insoles although in my case it is to correct fallen archs l,presumably there are orthotics designed with you in mind?

Find a ski shop that do custom moulded insoles that will properly support the arches and prevent pronation and supination. If you visit the Midlands then Lockwoods in Leamington Spa are great. Mine are by a company called superfeet who do pre formed and custom fit insoles

Last edited:
I think Clark's and a few sports stores offer a feet measuring service and they make recommendations with regards to what kind of footwear will be suitable.

Find a ski shop that do custom moulded insoles that will properly support the arches and prevent pronation and supination. If you visit the Midlands then Lockwoods in Leamington Spa are great. Mine are by a company called superfeet who do pre formed and custom fit insoles

If you support an arch you weaken it, so don't.
Pronation and supination are the natural movement of the foot to absorb the impact of walking and running, if you restrict them you cause problems. Mind you most ski boots are rigid so your foot is rigidly held within them.

Sub-4 Health - Home is very informative.
Depends if you are a heel striker or a forefoot striker and the particular make up of your feet.
I have rigid arches but not as high as yours and wear very flexible shoes as my feet can't flex that much.
Merrell trail glove or bare access.

If you support an arch you weaken it, so don't.
Pronation and supination are the natural movement of the foot to absorb the impact of walking and running, if you restrict them you cause problems. Mind you most ski boots are rigid so your foot is rigidly held within them.

Sub-4 Health - Home is very informative.
Depends if you are a heel striker or a forefoot striker and the particular make up of your feet.
I have rigid arches but not as high as yours and wear very flexible shoes as my feet can't flex that much.
Merrell trail glove or bare access.

the effect of intermittently providing support on days where heavy activity is anticipated will be minimal. Likely to help with the OP's problem though

you need to have someone that knows what they are talking about have a look at your feet. There are a number of scenarios and possible prescriptions. I would advise against getting advice from stores or clinicians that use "gait analysis" via video or basic force plate as its not that helpful in formulating orthotic prescription and is often used as a smoke screen. I work in this area and regularly attend a gait analysis interpretation meeting from a lab that has cutting edge kinetics and kinematics of all lower limb joints. This data is still not terribly helpful in prescription formulation of foot orthotics and is generally used for planning surgical proceedures and ankle or knee orthotics.

I have assessed for and supplied thousands of pairs of orthotics and to be honest wouldnt be able to give advice based on a description and would be cautious of anyone that claimed they could. There is a lot of bones and joints in there.

Not that helpful to you but thats the way it is,

ATB

Pete

Get seen by an orthotist (privately if you are in a hurry) and get the right advice for your feet. Generalised advice from stores (as mentioned by pete evans) is to be avoided at all costs. Your GP will be able to refer you to the right person on the NHS if you are not pressured for time.
atb

Raj

Hi there

I have odd shape feet and really struggle getting good boots I've recently come across this british company that offers 115 different sizes in all its boots plus extra custom fitting would definitely be worth a look, just need an excuse to get up to the factory now.....

Made to Measure Boot Fitting at the Alt-Berg Factory

Mens Warrior Aqua (MOD Brown) - Alt-Berg Boots these are very reasonable at £169 compared to meindl or the like, and they'll fit perfectly plus made in britain can't argue with that?

good luck

Last edited:
Back