Rust Removal

Tom270

I have found rust in three places on the barrel of my work horse wildfowling 12g semi auto. Anyone a step by step guide to eliminate it. My old dog peed on the slip it was in after cleaning so it went in the cabinet damp. Each patch is a cm square or less. thanks Tom

Moral of the story --- Never store a wildfowling gun in a slip - especially one that's been out on a salt marsh!

- Each time you go out - clean gun afterwards, oil & store away from damp/salty atmosphere - A slip keeps damp in - whether peed on by a dog or not!

Ian

just done this to a barrel yesterday
put oil on the wire wool
helps save the bluing and also acts to drive oil into the pitting/surface marks

Moral of the story --- Never store a wildfowling gun in a slip - especially one that's been out on a salt marsh!

- Each time you go out - clean gun afterwards, oil & store away from damp/salty atmosphere - A slip keeps damp in - whether peed on by a dog or not!

Ian
Definitely the correct advice but I would go one further and say never store any gun after a days shooting in its slip. A little rain and it's RED RED RED. Done it once and never again. To reblue a nice shotgun is not cheap.

My OP did state the clean gun was put in a slip, the reason for that is that the gun only just goes in the cabinet and can easily scratch the better guns in the cabinet, hence it goes in a dry light none water proof breathable slip, unfortunately the old dog relieved himself next to it just before I returned it to the cabinet and it soaked a bit up. Luckily the smell alerted me when I next opened up.
Thanks to your advice I ordered some 0000 grade wire wool and following the advice used some Tetra gun cleaner (just what was to hand) and working round the barrel easily cleaned off the rust and a fleck of paint off a choke. I am very pleased with the results and the bluing is not affected. Thanks for the help its much appreciated. You gave me the confidence and knowledge to sort it out.

Back