Thread: Sea fishing kit for trip to Africa

Sea fishing kit for trip to Africa

Morning all,
    What kit would you pack in a suitcase for fishing off shore as in casting from the shore? The kit would stay there and not come back, so it's got to be reasonably priced. Because of the transport arrangements, space it at a premiuim. There are no shops to buy further equipment at the destination. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Whereabouts in Africa will you be?

mightt need something fairly stout for the skeleton coast in Namibia (always fancied the beach shark fishing there!)

If it's SA or Namibia, you will be able to buy all the gear you need.

If it's Mozambique, Tanzania or Kenya, then I assume you'll be going with an outfitter, so they should have gear.

If you're flying in to one of the Indian ocean resorts (which I'm guessing might be the case based on the luggage restriction), there's no point trying to fish from the shore (which will often be inside a protected area anyway). You'll have to book a deep sea charter.

Call Roxmax they will sort you out. Details on their web site. If you are trolling then big Yozuri minnows are designed for just this, we use them for pike trolling and they are very good and nigh on indestructable. Big shimano multiplier, we now only use braid but I think the deep sea boys use floro carbon as there need to be some stretch in the line.

I am sure RoxMax will see you right they are a very good company.

Cheers for the replies.
    It's a business trip with a spot of fun/relaxation added at the end. That's why I am keen on little luggage. I will finally end up in Boa Vista, which whilst I have found stuff on fishing does not seem to have a tackle shop as such. I remember a similar situation in the Cook Islands when I had use local gear. It wasn't good. So this time I am thinking of taking my own. I will give Roxmax a look.

Hi 375win
    I got hold of Ron Thompson and Greys multi-piece rods paired up with Okuma reels for pretty much the same reason, some I used/ditched in Brazil, some in Ghana.
    Plenty good enough to use, cheap enough to leave at the location and I found some of the rods and reels still in the hands of locals & still working after two years, which says a lot about the build quality of the gear I think.
    As mentioned before, Paul or Pat at RokMax are worth talking to, they sell good kit and have done many trips like the one you're describing.
    Sportfish at Reading do some good kit as do the guys at Grangers in Sth Kensington, but they tend to focus more on fly-fishing.
    If you're chucking lures for stuff like amberjack or trevally, which I suppose ought to be available in Cape Verde, use either plain old shiny steel lures like dexter wedges or get hold of as many lead-head shad type things as you can pack in your kit.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

.....and maybe a filleting knife.
    I can resist everything, except temptation.

Ah, you've been to Mozambique?
    Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    .....and maybe a filleting knife.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

shore fishing is good in boa vista,fished in front of the hotel ,morays shark ,biggest around 20lb ,small gt plus loads of assorted fish tank jobbies.used 6 piece beach rods ,shimano and Shakespeare.used my multipliers ,but fixed spools ok .used a small travel spin rod to catch bait with sabiki lures.biggest problem is end tackle -non on the island ,its snaggy you need 4/5oz leads to get right out ,but plenty of smaller stuff ,inc sharks in the breakers .bait -tuna /mackerel can be bought in the fish market in town ,much better results .pm me for more info