Home-made Knife

Peter Eaton

Hi

Just wanted to post a pic of my first proper home-home knife. Its 01 carbon blade, Scandi ground with stabilized Zebrano handle scales. Razor sharp and I mean razor,keeps an edge after alot of abuse.

Pete

Pete,

I'm impressed and v. envious. Would love to know how you learnt to do that. How many knives did you made before that one?

Richard

Thanks for the reply Deerman

The blade is 01 bar stock, you buy it in 1 mtr lengths its a high carbon tool steel which is soft enough to work. First you cut the rough blade you want, then grind it on a linisher using a home-made jig set a 19 degrees. Then its heated to cherry red and quenched in olive oil and then heated in the oven a few times to temper and sharpened.
The sheath is 4 mm veg tanned leather which is cut and formed to the sheath shape you want , its the wetted and goes very soft , then shape it to the knife an let it dry very slowly. This sets it rock hard and you can then finish it on a worn linishing belt, stain it and waterproof it....thats a very condensed version as such.

Regards

Pete

Hi Richard
It isnt that difficult so long as you have basic skills and a bit of patience as such. There are loads of books to give you an insight if you look them up on the net, just search knife making...and some great sites and forums dedicated to knife making.

Pete

Pete, well done. Really fine knives and sheaths. Well impressed. I'm sure that knifemaking isn't as easy as you make it out to be!

Beautiful work chickenman. What are the handles? Interested in your sheath too I'm not happy with my stalking knife sheath. I need to make another and might give the molding idea a go. Does it hold it in if upside down?

Hope you don't mind if I show mine too?
I'll upload some photos of my mains stalking knife later - it's a simple Ray Mears ish scandi grind full tang 4mm O1 steel, buffalo horn handle. Holds a razor edge as long as my my bought swedish one. It's a little on the large side though. It certainly isn't my last I think!

Then this I made for a very close friend - he wanted more traditional. It's 3mm O1 steel, buffalo horn handle. The Aluminium pomel I cut out of a range rover cylinder head!
18042009120.jpg
18042009132.jpg (he did his ignitials and date...)
18042009124.jpg

Lastly a kitchen knife for my brother's 21st. 2mm O1 steel, Beech handle. Brass rod as rivets. Never use glue.
DSC02090.jpg

I'll second Leprevo - I've got most of my stuff from there (forget ebay for good quality leather unless you get lucky. Learnt that one...).

I made my own because I was always after the perfect knife, and never found one for sale. So I read up and decided to give it a go! Made a forge out of a car wheel and tumble dryer blower, used oil from my last service and a gas torch for tempering. I made a jig for the belt sander to 23* but I'm still not totally happy with the angle grinding bit. I should get a linisher I guess, what do they run at?

Attachments

• 18042009123.jpg
    18042009123.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 24
hi chickenman after looking at your knife i thaught i would have a go and at work today found myself waiting for steel panels to arrive so i had a go at making one not as good as yours but i only had two hours.it was from a spare file i had just need to polish the blade and make a sheath for it ,hope it turns out like yours.the next one i make i will get some 01 grade steel and take my time but for a trail run it turned out ok.05032010187.jpg
pencil.png
pencil.png

Hi Harry

I see you got the bug like me , good work there. Yes the leather can be worked and shrunk so the knife wont fall out of the sheath and thats the sign of a good sheath.re the grinding bit look up Bernie Garland on the net as he has a knife making forum and there is a wealth of great advice on there from guys who are willing to help you, many are top knife makers. You will find link to a linisher modification there which Bernie posted, I did as he said with the modification and can grind very accurate scandi grinds dont to 19 degrees now. The wood on the handle is Zebrano, look up knife scales on the net to find them.

Pete

Roger,

you will have noticed your post has gone, you want to advertise you contact me. Nothing personal but we have to keep a level playing field.

John

I like the knife Roger ,whats are the scales? I must get myself back to my garage when the weather warms up as Im going to attempt to make a few for my mates who have helped me eg the fella who mentored me, game keepers and the like.

The Scales are grey G10. It's food safe etc, But be careful when working it the dust from sanding it is not good for you!
Roger

Back