A Free Stalk offer I was lucky enough to get - Novices (like me) read on

Hi All,

Just thought i would post about a free stalk i was given my amanda16 off this site, the offer was for a novice only for a free morning stalk, it was excellent. If you want to learn, or are new like me contact this man.

Date: 18/10/14Location: Bonchester – Scottish Borders
Pro Stalker: Tam – AKA – amanda16Novice: Ian – AKA – InK7682
Deer Spotted : 15 -20Deer Shot: 1 x Roe Buck
Stalking Type: WoodlandRifle: Browning A Bolt 270 WSM
Rounds Fired: 1Novice Experience: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Stalk / 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Woodland

Intro:
So I am not one for posting a lot on here, but felt that I was duty bound to write a lot more than I normally would. I was tipped off by Jimbo 30-06 on SD that there was an offer of a free stalk to a novice by Amanda 16 available, and that if I got myself into gear I would not regret it. How right he was (cheers again Jim J ).
Contact was made, and was forthcoming straight away, friendly advice was received about B&B’s etc and timing was fixed for my free morning stalk.

The Pro Stalker:
So if you have never stalked before, or never woodland stalked, or have very limited experience of stalking, then my advice to you would be to consider Tam as a first port of call. My reasons for this are simple, he has tons of experience, he is very down to earth, advice and hints and tips are freely given. If you have any nerves about going and shooting deer you will be put at ease, right up to the point you take a shot you will receive clear instruction on what to do and when. Speaking plainly he is a properly friendly bloke who knows his stuff and you can have a laugh with.

The Stalk:
The ground that you are taken on is stunning, and it showed itself off very well indeed in the early morning sun, photos attached.
We parked up at the end of a woodland track, and walked about 200m down towards small valley. Tam glassed the valley and within about 30 seconds he saw two Roe bucks play fighting (novice term). I was put straight onto the deer with clear instruction; the shot for me was a challenge, as it was off sticks and downhill and the deer where just out of a tree line. It was however within my capability, and with Tams advice of “if you are not sure don’t pull the trigger, you are not being judged here” in my ears, I lined up my cross hairs on the deer, “you let me know when your to pull the trigger, I’ll watch where he goes” I could get a safe clear shot on and pulled the trigger, Tam was watching. The shot was on; the deer ran a few feet and expired. We made our way down the side of the hill, something if you are not used to is not to be taken lightly!
Tams dog found the deer for us, and he demonstrated his way of doing the gralloch which I asked him to do and I filmed on my camera as a reference. Again hints and tips abounded, and lots of advice was given inc finding a place without tree roots to bury your gralloch! With the buck cleaned the remaining task was for me to get it back up the hill we had just come down, enough said about my puffing, panting, cursing, swearing, slipping and lack of general fitness for this task at times Tam patiently lead the way.
Well pleased with the events of the first 30 mins of the stalk, I thought in my head this is a free stalk, I have had an excellent experience, surely for free you wouldn’t get anything more, nor could you expect anything more. I was wrong we spent the next 3 - 4 hours visiting various locations that Tam has, saw deer on all of them. High seats, Low seats, open hill I was genuinely flabbergasted at the variety of ground he has access to.
This was my second deer I have brought home for the table, and it has only led to feed my addiction to stalking!

Summary:
For someone wanting to get into stalking you should contact Tam, I don’t freely give recommendations but I make an exception here for sure. Cannot recommend highly enough, I will be back, infact Tam what dates have you got available November please from 20[SUP]th[/SUP] Onwards?
Thanks again to Jim for putting me onto this; we really do need to meet up for a pint, and or a shoot!
Newbies like me please feel free to PM about this if you want to hear anything first hand.

PS Pics to follow later today just realised what time it is, can’t get my camera to work with PC at moment, and I’m not waking the wife up for that right now!

SAM_0154.jpg

SAM_0151.jpg

Last edited:
Well done on your buck, and well done Tam for the offer. Another of the many, many helpful and generous site members.

Last edited:
Well done, sounds like you had a good day. You'll have the bug for stalking now!!

Stacey

Well done to you both, you for your success and Tam for his generosity in helping out a novice. Another example of an SD members willingness to help out newcomers a credit to the stalking world.

John

Hi All,

Just thought i would post about a free stalk i was given my amanda16 off this site, the offer was for a novice only for a free morning stalk, it was excellent. If you want to learn, or are new like me contact this man.

Date: 18/10/14Location: Bonchester – Scottish Borders
Pro Stalker: Tam – AKA – amanda16Novice: Ian – AKA – InK7682
Deer Spotted : 15 -20Deer Shot: 1 x Roe Buck
Stalking Type: WoodlandRifle: Browning A Bolt 270 WSM
Rounds Fired: 1Novice Experience: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Stalk / 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Woodland

Intro:
So I am not one for posting a lot on here, but felt that I was duty bound to write a lot more than I normally would. I was tipped off by Jimbo 30-06 on SD that there was an offer of a free stalk to a novice by Amanda 16 available, and that if I got myself into gear I would not regret it. How right he was (cheers again Jim J ).
Contact was made, and was forthcoming straight away, friendly advice was received about B&B’s etc and timing was fixed for my free morning stalk.

The Pro Stalker:
So if you have never stalked before, or never woodland stalked, or have very limited experience of stalking, then my advice to you would be to consider Tam as a first port of call. My reasons for this are simple, he has tons of experience, he is very down to earth, advice and hints and tips are freely given. If you have any nerves about going and shooting deer you will be put at ease, right up to the point you take a shot you will receive clear instruction on what to do and when. Speaking plainly he is a properly friendly bloke who knows his stuff and you can have a laugh with.

The Stalk:
The ground that you are taken on is stunning, and it showed itself off very well indeed in the early morning sun, photos attached.
We parked up at the end of a woodland track, and walked about 200m down towards small valley. Tam glassed the valley and within about 30 seconds he saw two Roe bucks play fighting (novice term). I was put straight onto the deer with clear instruction; the shot for me was a challenge, as it was off sticks and downhill and the deer where just out of a tree line. It was however within my capability, and with Tams advice of “if you are not sure don’t pull the trigger, you are not being judged here” in my ears, I lined up my cross hairs on the deer, “you let me know when your to pull the trigger, I’ll watch where he goes” I could get a safe clear shot on and pulled the trigger, Tam was watching. The shot was on; the deer ran a few feet and expired. We made our way down the side of the hill, something if you are not used to is not to be taken lightly!
Tams dog found the deer for us, and he demonstrated his way of doing the gralloch which I asked him to do and I filmed on my camera as a reference. Again hints and tips abounded, and lots of advice was given inc finding a place without tree roots to bury your gralloch! With the buck cleaned the remaining task was for me to get it back up the hill we had just come down, enough said about my puffing, panting, cursing, swearing, slipping and lack of general fitness for this task at times Tam patiently lead the way.
Well pleased with the events of the first 30 mins of the stalk, I thought in my head this is a free stalk, I have had an excellent experience, surely for free you wouldn’t get anything more, nor could you expect anything more. I was wrong we spent the next 3 - 4 hours visiting various locations that Tam has, saw deer on all of them. High seats, Low seats, open hill I was genuinely flabbergasted at the variety of ground he has access to.
This was my second deer I have brought home for the table, and it has only led to feed my addiction to stalking!

Summary:
For someone wanting to get into stalking you should contact Tam, I don’t freely give recommendations but I make an exception here for sure. Cannot recommend highly enough, I will be back, infact Tam what dates have you got available November please from 20[SUP]th[/SUP] Onwards?
Thanks again to Jim for putting me onto this; we really do need to meet up for a pint, and or a shoot!
Newbies like me please feel free to PM about this if you want to hear anything first hand.

PS Pics to follow later today just realised what time it is, can’t get my camera to work with PC at moment, and I’m not waking the wife up for that right now!

View attachment 48128

View attachment 48129
Hi Ian thanks for the write up am just happy you got a buck . Mind it's not always as easy lol

Drop a pound coin he won't be far away:rofl:

Well done both of you
That's quite funny nell PMSL some one must be helping you .
Slack chamber a don't just have a licence kill but also a licence to frill just ask the girls lol

Back