Rem 260.

Lever Man

Hi All.:)
Does any other member use a Rem 260?. All opinions and info would be appreciated.
I think its a great round for deer and fox .
A pict or two.
All the best lever man.

Attachments

• Muntjac buck PW Rem 260 164yrds 002.JPG
    Muntjac buck PW Rem 260 164yrds 002.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 52
  • Muntjac buck PW Rem 260 164yrds 003.JPG
    Muntjac buck PW Rem 260 164yrds 003.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 62
If you mean 260 REM then yes.
Great for deer and fox. I shot a large bodied red with mine and it just poleaxed it. Along with a few pigs, wild dogs etc.

There are several users of 260 Rem on here and I've built numerous rifles in this calibre for active stalkers.- it does the job (just like any other deer legal calibre,,,,):)

Shot placement is the key to success.

I have a Model 7 in .260.

Ballistically, the .260 Remington is identical to the 6.5x55, but the swede's longer neck handles heavier bullets better.

Kind of like the .308 vs. .30-06. With 180gr and lighter bullets not much different. Heavier bullets, and the larger cartridge starts to pull away.

If I was strictly UK mixed bag type hunting, I would set it up for 130gr Barnes TSX for everything and be done.

I to have a Model 7 in .260 rem, Use 129gr bullets shoot fox muntjack and fallow with it.

Just to note I also have .243 and .308 But the .260 is my first choice

I use a t3 rebarrelled in .260, found 129grain sst's accurate and reliable on fallow, roe and vermin.

I use a t3 rebarrelled in .260, found 129grain sst's accurate and reliable on fallow, roe and vermin.

Thanks one and all for your replys all very interesting. I to use 129grn Hornady spire point home loads.
All the best lever man.

Fixed it for you...

Not really...

Throat is a characteristic of the barrel. You can order a barrel chambered for .260 Rem. w/long throat, but the cartridge design is not optimal for the heavier bullets. Couple this with the fact that most are chambered in short actions and well...

The longer neck of the 6.5x55mm (in conjunction with a longer throat) handles heavier bullets better for numerous reasons (bullet seating, case capacity, crimp, reduced throat erosion...).

We're talking cartridges here. The standard long throat on pretty much all factory 6.5x55mm rifles is a direct consequence of the cartridge design. ;)

Last edited:
The neck in x55 is a bit less than 8mm. In 260 it's a bit more than 6.5mm (dimensions taken from 'net, didn't bother to find CIP drawings). This makes very little difference, especially in case capacity. And if you start splitting hair, x55 neck has problems of it's own since it's not straight but tapering.

Like you said, just about all x55 are throated long, and it makes quite a difference if I have to cram something like 160gr Woodleigh 15mm too deep (in regards to neck/shoulder junction) in my 260Rem and my friend has trouble reaching the lands in his 6.5x55. The 15mm of bullet is eating up half a CC, which is in the neighbourhood of 15% wasted case capacity.

The neck in x55 is a bit less than 8mm. In 260 it's a bit more than 6.5mm (dimensions taken from 'net, didn't bother to find CIP drawings). This makes very little difference, especially in case capacity. And if you start splitting hair, x55 neck has problems of it's own since it's not straight but tapering.

Like you said, just about all x55 are throated long, and it makes quite a difference if I have to cram something like 160gr Woodleigh 15mm too deep (in regards to neck/shoulder junction) in my 260Rem and my friend has trouble reaching the lands in his 6.5x55. The 15mm of bullet is eating up half a CC, which is in the neighbourhood of 15% wasted case capacity.

Aw! Come'on! You're making that up, right? A problematic taper to the case??

Anybody else find the taper of the 6.5x55 a problem??~Muir

(Christ! This means that other cases have the same problem, too, like 22-250, 220 Swift, 7x57, 270, 25-06, 280, 30-06, 8x57 375 H&H...........) (;))

Last edited:
It must be coincidence that most of the cartridges that are considered modern (based on a design less than 100y old or something) don't have tapering NECK. Or improved (Ackley or otherwise) custom reamers either.

The taper in 6.5x55 neck is 0.12mm and while reloading, neck tension of .002" (0.05mm) or .003" (0.08mm) is quite popular as recommendation. The problems I've heard (I don't reload for or maybe even own tapering neck chamberings) relate to unnecessary fatigue etc. since comparing to 260 Rem you have to use 2.5x clearances if you want to have straight neck (consistent seating etc.) and comply with CIP (I've understood that in some countries like Germany it's very difficult not to comply).

Er.....
I've looked at both SAAMI and CIP specs of the 6.5x55 cartridge and see nothing indicating tapered neck. I have been loading 6.5x55 for 30 years. If it exists and is a problem, I have never seen it myself, heard of it from others, or read about it. Interesting though. I'll look into it further.~Muir

Wow. You got some better drawings than I have. Excellent.
So in the neck there is a .08mm variance in neck from mouth to shoulder, maximum. Amazing. I never knew.
Thanks. That's .003" (roughly) and that's .0015" per side. It begs two questions. First, how good is your brass? .0015" isn't much metal. Next: That is an external dimension. I wonder if the inside of the neck has a similar taper.

In any event. Thanks for the correction though I'm still wondering how this becomes a problem.~Muir

Is this seriously worth worrying about!
The 6.5x55 tapered neck is such a problem it makes my ammunition too accurate - 0.275" @ 100 yards not good enough! I went to the pub and celebrated after working that load up.

Back