Thread: venison shanks in white wine mmmm

venison shanks in white wine mmmm

2x shanks.500ml chicken stock.500ml white wine , 4 garlic pieces,4 large carrots. sliced 1/2 lb finely chopped mushrooms,4 rashers bacon.1 large spanish onion.2 x bay leaves ,1 sprinkle rosemary n thyme.salt n pepper to taste.30ml olive oil. 1lb red potatoes mashed with milk n unsalted butter. preheat the oven to 200 degc.on the hob place oil in a casserole dish n brown the shanks on a high heat then rest.add the onion chopped into wedge shapes and the bacon chopped into lardons lowering the heat to medium.add the carrots herbs salt n pepper and cook for about 8/10 mins.then add the finely chopped mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes adding the now crushed garlic .pouring the wine in bring to the boil and place the shanks in .reduce the heat add the chicken stock n bay leaves cooking for about ten in the oven for 2/3 hours on 200degc.every hour turn the shanks to baste .1/2 hour b4 serving mash the red tates with butter n milk.serve up mash n shanks with a nice cabernet sauvignon or what have u

Cheers Tozzy, never used white before....looking forward to giving it a whirl....cheers and beers !

The shanks are so underrated! Once all that connective tissue breaks down they become a lovely meal. Makes a great pie filling if there's any left over too.

yeh if your home ,keep them in the oven for 5 hours ,basting every 30 minutes and that tissue is then just jelly n melts in your mouth.cheers for the comments lads atb

Bookmarked for the two shanks I have sat in the freezer

SOunds nice but isn't 200deg c a bit overill ? When I stew off tough cuts of venison I only use 160 dec c for an hour and then lower it to 150deg c for another 1 or 2 hours. I was once told that cooking with a too hot an oven actually 'slows' the cooking process of tougher cuts of meat down. What makes tough meat tender is the breaking down of the connective tissue and this is done by slowly bringing the meat up to the cooking temperature.
    nice recipe though.

Kind regards, Olaf

done 3 now at this temperature ,maybe its our pants electric oven ,but the meat melts in the mouth so ive no reason to lower the temperature .but thanks for the info,i can try the next one at 160 and see what happens atb