Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 with the z1000 reticle, anyone used one?

Holdover

Hi All,
Thinking of getting a Zeiss Conquest HD5, 5-25x50 scope for my .308.
There's a rapid Z1000 reticle available in the range that's specifically designed for .308 cal.

Has anyone used one yet with a .308, wondering what its like and how well the lines work, in case the lines may be too light in low light or too heavy for long range work during daytime?
Cheers

Hi All,
Thinking of getting a Zeiss Conquest HD5, 5-25x50 scope for my .308.
There's a rapid Z1000 reticle available in the range that's specifically designed for .308 cal.

Has anyone used one yet with a .308, wondering what its like and how well the lines work, in case the lines may be too light in low light or too heavy for long range work during daytime?
Cheers

I was going to buy one from Artur on here until I seen and read it was for the 308 cal,

so having read about it, it seems to work rather well according to the us sites and some of the posts on the scope has sung its praises, I am a fan of zeiss glass (now I have stopped spending silly money on cheap glass)

contact Artur on this forum and see if he still has the scope you have mentioned and take it from there.

best of luck

ps: I was going to use it on my 6mmbr but did not have enough cash at the time it was for sale.

regards

bob.

I don't see the sense of these reticles on a second focal plane scope. It is a recipe for disaster. I have three of the older 6.5-20 Conquests with the plex reticle and very happy with them . I think it is the perfect compromise for low light and fine enough for the long range crow. All my rifles have their individual drop charts to dial in range. That is more precise in my book.
edi

On a second focal plane scope your drops which are etched in the reticle will only be correct at one magnification setting as the reticle does not magnify when upping magnification. With first focal plane scopes the reticle get's bigger with magnification and hold overs can be used and will be the same at any magnification. Most sniper scopes are first focal plane. Disaster strikes if you forget to put your second focal scope on the correct mag when using the holdover on Z1000 or similar reticule at longer ranges. Easy to forget.

In the meantime my favourite scopes are first fp and mildot reticule. Even zeroing is easier as one can roughly read how many clicks are needed to move the POI to the spot you would like to hit. This works at any distance.
edi

It would be perfect if the Zeiss HD5 was FFP, being SFP all the drops except the zero move around as you change mag and in the heat of the moment its easy to mix them up alright.
I think the Z1000 isn't suitable at all even though its promoted as a .308 specific one.
On the Zeiss calculator the Z1000 reticle's designed for a 500yd zero so once you change mag the only usable point is the 500yd which is no use when working close range or at dusk when you need the mag set low so with this one you're forced to be set at about 18x mag which seems daft.
The Z800 works a lot better as the default 200 yd zero will be about 2.5" high at 100yds and at 11x mag the lines are all very close out to 800yd. When you lower the mag the 200yd zero is still useful.
The other scope I'm considering is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP which has great features but I imagine the glass on the Zeiss would give me a good bit more time at dawn and dusk so I reckon at least with the Zeiss I can dial in the shots and the glass would be better.

I bought a used model from the States,before I realised how calibre specific it was.
i found it far too distracting and the lines much thicker than on the other Zeiss ballistic reticles. I did read reviews saying the reticle proved very accurate when used on the correct mag,but overall I wouldn't recommend it.

I have the same scope with the Z600 reticle, it works if I set the scope to 11 power with my calibre 7mm-08. I have tested it to 800m so far and it hits. They are a really good scope what ever reticle you use. Given the chance I would buy another with the straight forward Z-plex

Kind regards

Steve

Back