Getting a FAC without land ??

BTW. Just clocked your location. D&C have one of the better FLDs in the country - probably reflects on their having the highest number of FAC & SGC to adminster. Some of the FEOs can be a bit flakey, but overall the office at Middlemoor have a very good reputation as I am sure many on here can attest to. Unless you have other 'issues', and can satisfy the relevant criteria to possess firearms, there shouldn't be a problem. Just bone up on the HO Guidance - "Knowledge is Power" (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626). ;)

Best bet would be to give your local firearms licencing authority a ring and ask them straight mate but the above doc is straight from HO guidelines which police are supposed to follow so don't let them pull the wool over your eyes !

+1 on what Jimbo just said - I can only speak for my own dealings, but I've always found my local Firearms Dept to be extremely helpful...and patient with an over-anxious new applicant as I was. Ask them the questions straight and see what their responses are before worrying about the 'what if's'. If they come back with a positive response then happy days, if not, then it's already been demonstrated on your thread that there are plenty of people to help you with the correct legislation etc if need be.

Seems to be that there is a lot of expectation for all FLO's to want to catch you out or make you jump through hoops, but honestly, it isn't always the case.

I got deer on my FAC on the basis that I'd been stalking (once) with a chap off the stalking directory, and hoped to go again some time. No names, no confirmation letter, just took my word for it.

D&C have a "land form" which they will try to make you complete. I told them I didn't have the time to knock on doors to ask a farmer to sign the form and offered a receipt from a local commercial stalker. They accepted it after a bit of a fight but decided to restrict my ammunition holding due to only taking let days. A bit of nonsense as I was loading my own anyhow. After a few years I managed to increase my holding (heads can only be bought in boxes of 50 or 100) and they didn't have a problem.
With each renewal I added on a few more slots and no issues. Recently added a 375HH with expanding. Still no land authority but plenty of invites and pictures of what I've shot to show off to the FLO when he visits. Be firm and sensible and remind them of the Home Office guidance.

Try this:-

1. Join a rifle club with a range approved for c/f rifles, preferably one that does sporting practice rather than all that boring belly down target stuff.
2. Obtain DSC 1 qualification.
3. Book a paid stalk.

Even Groothuis had to agree to this....after some argument.

atb Tim

Yeah I have sent out 38 letters to local and not so local farms and out of 38 I have had had 20 replies saying that they already have someone on there land and will keep my number incase the other person stops going on there land.
I had a reply from my local Firearm officer and he said that as long as I prove I am going to go to paid stalks and and have a booking then will be no problem.

Once again thanks for all the replys has been very helpful.

Atb

Try this:-

1. Join a rifle club with a range approved for c/f rifles, preferably one that does sporting practice rather than all that boring belly down target stuff.
2. Obtain DSC 1 qualification.
3. Book a paid stalk.

Even Groothuis had to agree to this....after some argument.

atb Tim

You have to be a probationary member of a club for 6mths before your allowed to apply Dorset that means over a year in all (was 2 years when they had a 18mth turn around time )

you don't need DSC1 nore any Paid for course

there OWN forms say Booked stalk (paid or even just invitational is Reason enough )

Read their how to fill in the form form and HO guidlines

wait till they say we need you to jump this hoop then ask exactly why

no point jumping hundreds of hoops now that may never exist

You have to be a probationary member of a club for 6mths before your allowed to apply Dorset that means over a year in all (was 2 years when they had a 18mth turn around time )

there OWN forms say Booked stalk (paid or even just invitational is Reason enough )

Very good advise many thanks, been good to see what peoples views are and lots of advise.

I agree that there's no point in doing unnecessary things but when plod digs his heels in to be as awkward as possible sometimes you have to make an extra effort,
if you lived in Hants & IW when Groothuis was in charge at the FLD you'd know what I mean.

atb Tim

Back