new toy semi custom .223 and results

glyn

finally got out to play properly with the new toy today ,i recently did a deal with james clark A.K.A jaeger SA on this semi custom howa based .223 with a bergara 1/9" barrel,boyds stock , mag conversion and ceracoated ,all put together VERY NICELY ,i was looking for a longer range fox tool at an affordable price ! and i certainly got it ,i ran the barrel in a couple of weeks back with some reloads from AN other

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/gjc_album/guns/PA020502_zpsf7ddb8f4.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/gjc_album/guns/PA040508_zpsc68aa51f.jpg

after a bit of advice and a cracking deal at the speed of light from mark "spud 1967" i settled on some hornady dies and this is the result of both ! first load workings !

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/gjc_album/guns/PA220555_zpse5caeb9d.jpg
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/gjc_album/guns/PA220554_zps020958b3.jpg

CHUFFED ! given the conditions today ,wind 15-18mph and gusts to 27/28mph and a wobbly landy bonnet "YOU COULD SAY THAT !"
thanks to both guys for a really fast efficient service at an excellent price ,i am quite certain that given a little work on the loads i can improve it a tadge more ,

Last edited:
it will be good to see how tight they get off proper rests/bags but in all fairness it will be used across the landy probably 95% of the time so as long as its performing off that ok ,thats what matters ! but VERY pleased with the initial results ,goes to show that you dont need to spend a fortune to get something a bit special !

finally got out to play properly with the new toy today ,i recently did a deal with james clark A.K.A jaeger SA on this semi custom howa based .223 with a bergara 1/9" barrel,boyds stock , mag conversion and ceracoated ,all put together VERY NICELY ,i was looking for a longer range fox tool at an affordable price ! and i certainly got it ,i ran the barrel in a couple of weeks back with some reloads from AN other

PA020502_zpsf7ddb8f4.jpg

PA040508_zpsc68aa51f.jpg

after a bit of advice and a cracking deal at the speed of light from mark "spud 1967" i settled on some hornady dies and this is the result of both ! first load workings !

PA220555_zpse5caeb9d.jpg

PA220554_zps020958b3.jpg

CHUFFED ! given the conditions today ,wind 15-18mph and gusts to 27/28mph and a wobbly landy bonnet "YOU COULD SAY THAT !"
thanks to both guys for a really fast efficient service at an excellent price ,i am quite certain that given a little work on the loads i can improve it a tadge more ,

That's a nice rifle James has put together for you, I'm also looking for a .223 at the moment so I'll have to get in touch with him.

Last edited:

That's a nice rifle James has put together for you, I'm also looking for a .223 at the moment so I'll have to get in touch with him.

That is it in a nutshell...put together! What I do isn't difficult, I keep telling folk it's not the dark art people make it out to be and you don't always get what you pay for. At the end of the day good machining is good machining, doesn't matter who does it.

It is a cracking little .223, it went together very nicely, so much so I didn't another for myself. :)

please let let me know what sort of thing you're after.

That is it in a nutshell...put together! What I do isn't difficult, I keep telling folk it's not the dark art people make it out to be and you don't always get what you pay for. At the end of the day good machining is good machining, doesn't matter who does it.

It is a cracking little .223, it went together very nicely, so much so I didn't another for myself. :)

please let let me know what sort of thing you're after.

james i think you do yourself an injustice ! there is obviously a lot of skill and experience involved in what you are doing as well as close tolerance machine work there ,maybe not a dark art that some do profess !but certainly more than JUST good machine work .

That's good going in breezy conditions off a bonnet. I've not long had my 30-06 back after some work from James the work was very nice I'm going to put up a thread after I've been Perthshire on the hinds and worked up a proper load as I don't think the factory ammo Im using temporally does its justice. Having said that it was still sub 1 inch off the bench. James sent me a few pics during the rebarrel process and I must say I was very impressed with the attention to detail and quality of work done as was Danny Ryan. I'm going to get him to do a 6.5 for me when 1. I decide which 6.5 I would like and 2. When I decide which barrel to go for.

Looks good Glyn,
I like the stock, is it a boyds?
We need to arrange a meet up with the .224's and throw some lead at the targets.
Hope your well :D

Looks good Glyn,
I like the stock, is it a boyds?
We need to arrange a meet up with the .224's and throw some lead at the targets.
Hope your well :D

sorry a bit late with the reply :rolleyes:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " but hey nowt new there :oops: still in hand " yes that would be good ! it seems to like amax as well :lol:!this is at 200 yds ,still off the landy bonnet though! if i get a decent day im going to try it off the bags and see just how good it is ! as i fired i knew the 2 on the right were off .he seems to have the hang of sticking gun bits together does james !yes its a boyds stock ,this is a 5 shot group from today.

Last edited:
sorry a bit late with the reply :rolleyes:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " but hey nowt new there :oops: still in hand " yes that would be good ! it seems to like amax as well :lol:!this is at 200 yds ,still off the landy bonnet though! if i get a decent day im going to try it off the bags and see just how good it is ! as i fired i knew the 2 on the right were off .he seems to have the hang of sticking gun bits together does james !yes its a boyds stock ,this is a 5 shot group from today.

Will you get that fecking rifle off the bonnet of the Landy so you can shoot a decent group! :D

I presume you still haven't bedded the stock yet Glyn? Lol

no but its got to be worth a try :D! i thought about a bit of chequer plate on the bonnet to stop it springing about when i lean on it :rofl: it is quite noticeable ,that was the problem with the 2 high right shot ,i knew as i let them go !!.I was a little unsure about chopping the tikka in initially but the groups from that were off bags ! but hey suppose i can live with this off the landy if i have to,but seriously i AM going to tweak the load a bit more (as two loads were very close group wise but this was the quickest ,pleased with the velocity spread as well) and try it off bags ,it will be interesting to see just what it can do if i can do it justice .

Very nice piece of kit. How do you rate the stock? Been thinking if getting 1 for my .243

Glyn this is a 6.5x55 I did, he's using factory 139g PP ammo, off a bipod @ 300, 2x 3 shot groups, 1" - 1.5" each. He said he's not bothering to reload. :D

Back