Calling for a buck

I setup on the edge of a wood this evening in which I have seen a lot of fallow and a few rutting stands on the woodland edge.

At around 5pm I heard a buck crashing around and snapping plenty of branches. I sat hoping he may come out onto the meadow and about 20 minutes later I heard a couple of grunts come from the wood followed by more branches taking a beating.

I decided I would see if my new primos grunter was worth the money and so gave 5 grunts and then all of a sudden the buck comes charging out of the wood and straight towards me. I give another 5 grunts and bring him into 40 yards and looking for a fight!

With my rifle already on the sticks, one well placed shot into his shoulder sees him make a 25 yard dash before going down.

On later inspection the shot had taken out the top of the heart but not exited.

For some reason it won't let me upload the picture from my IPhone but I'll try again tomorrow.

Tom.

Well done Tom

I've got one of those primos grunters in the bottom of the box somewhere, might have to go and give it a go.

It can't hurt not too!

I have tried it a few times and this was the first response in this manor I have had. It was the first time I have used it when I have heard a buck grunting first and so when I called back i was obviously close enough to get under his skin.

Nicely done Tom. I have used them before to limited success unless you are as you say 'under their skin' plus it is easy to big bigger and bolder on the caller than you should be, and then it can put them off. I think when using one less is more until you build up a good bit of a conversation with him.

Look forward to pics

The noise the Primos makes isn't quite right for a fallow grunt but, as others have said, if a buck is sufficiently revved up it can do the trick.

Back