Tikka m55

Dick darstardly

Hello again

Further to my CZ thread posted yesterday i am also considering a tikka m55.243 What is you guys opinions/experiances?

Your help is appreciated

Rgds

Daniel

I've never used an M55, but I do have an M595 which is model between the 55 and the T3. It's a good, practical rifle, shoots well and has proven reliable. The older Tikka's are highly regarded, but a lot depends on how hard a life they've had..

Hi Daniel - a mate of mine uses a 595 (like Moonraker's) in .243 and really rates it....deer and foxes he wallops consistently with it aren't quite so keen......:lol::lol:

Hi Daniel,

My .308 M55 is over 30 years old and as good as new. They are lovely rifles, made at the original Tikka factory (ie pre-Sako etc). The early ones, like mine, had a rounded forend then, in about 1980, they changed it to a cut-off, angled forend. The deluxe version has a rosewood tip with ivory banding. They have a lovely swell in the palm grip but only if you are right-handed! It was replaced by the 595 in the late '80s, I think, then Sako bought Tikka and harmonised production: then Beretta bought the lot and introduced modern cost-engineering. The rest, as they say, is history. I won't get into the T3 versus old Tikka debate - the T3 is a good rifle - but "original" Tikkas in good condition are a different rifle altogether and worth finding and taking a pride in IMHO.

They were designed for cold climates and had a large, plastic-covered bolt handle, which can strike a wide, low-mounted scope, so beware. It's fine with a 4x32 - 6x42 etc. They are very well made indeed, very accurate and reliable in the most extreme conditions, which is what they were built for. But be warned that magazines are as rare as hens' teeth! If it's a good one, go for it ...

Incidentally, UK and Australian special forces used the Tikka M55 in 22-250 as their urban sniper rifle in the early-mid '80s.

Hope this helps,

Graeme

I had a M65 in .308win some years ago,the M65 is the longer action (.308 was available in both action lengths). It was a very good rifle but had a potential fault in that it was possible to assemble the bolt incorrectly after stripping for cleaning and the result could be dangerous. The importers at the time (JLS arms) found it necessary to issue warnings about this in the shooting press and Tikka thought it better to change the design resulting in the 590 and 690 action. These actions evolved into the 595 and 695 actions and eventually to the T3.
With the M55/M65 it is simple to adjust trigger weight by a srew in the magazine well, no need to take the action out of the stock. I believe the barrel steel was made by Bofors, and the rifles were known as accurate with a long barrel life.
The advantage of the M65 action in .308 was that it could be loaded through the top as easily as it could from the detachable magazine, in effect the best of both worlds.
It's a quality rifle solidly made, and all other Tikka's since have been of a lesser quality to some extent.

8x57 is right on both counts (I forgot to mention the M65). You can download the bolt assembly diagram from the Sako site (old manuals), so RTFM - it's not a problem but you should be aware of it. Regarding top-loading, on a M55 with a 'scope mounted, cold fingers and in a hurry - forget it!

Graeme

I wish I hadn't sold mine Graeme. But at the time it wasn't getting much use as I just got married and cash was a bit short. I didn't know that it was possible to load the M55 through the top, it was possible with the M65 in .308 because of the longer than necessary action.
When I bought mine Tikka were imported by JLS arms and Sako were imported by Gunmark (GMK), a few years later JLS had the rug pulled from beneath them which was a pity as they had been good representatives for Tikka in this country.

I to have a M55 in 243 with an fluted barrel great action and trigger its all what Graeme M said it is i love it .

It was replaced by the 595 in the late '80s

had a large, plastic-covered bolt handle

Actually, it was replaced by the short-lived M558, which was itself replaced by the M590, which then evolved into the M595.

Only a few models had the plastic bolt knob as standard.

Daniel, If this is the rifle I'm thinking of, I've just had a very quick look at it. Appears to be in good condition for it's age, although I'm certainly no expert as far as bore condition etc is concerned. No mounts or Q/D swivels, but you can probably get these thrown in as part of the deal. It's not screwcut either. There is also a brand new T3 in .243 available from the same dealer for not much more money. Have a trawl through Guntrader to check what else is about.

I have an M55 in .308 win with the master sporter (adjustable) stock. It has a 20in barrel and shoots very well indeed. Don't take them apart unless you have to as the floorplate/trigger guard assembly is complicated a a swine to get back together.

Good reliable rifles though and far superior in quality to the later models.

Daniel, If this is the rifle I'm thinking of, I've just had a very quick look at it. Appears to be in good condition for it's age, although I'm certainly no expert as far as bore condition etc is concerned. No mounts or Q/D swivels, but you can probably get these thrown in as part of the deal. It's not screwcut either. There is also a brand new T3 in .243 available from the same dealer for not much more money. Have a trawl through Guntrader to check what else is about.

I cant see the new T3 from the same dealer as the M55? There is a good looking 595 for £450. I think this is the one your reffering to

I have an M55 in 308, recently re-barreled with a heavy fluted Border barrel. Shoots very well, nicely made rifle. I fully agree with what Zaitsev says about putting the floorplate/trigger guard back together - don't take it apart unless you have to!

Andrew

Had a m55 243, I think it was a "trapper" with plastic bolt handle [excellent] and detach mag, it was quite a short barrell. [ fc issue] and killed its fair share of deer with no problems

Got a 595 or is it a 565 ? in 22-250 good rifle

Had t3's , good rifles but not a patch on their predesessors.

Hi daniel
I had a tikka trapper m55 22/250 in the mid 80s fired approx 5000 rounds through it.Very good rifle ,with good barrell and not aplastic stock insight!! The tikkas were a better quality back then . I sold it thinking that the barrell was on its way out ,only to find there was a problem with the scope .If you can find a good m55 with a good barrell in the calibre you want grab it !you wont be disapointed
Cheers Derek Treherne

Back