Woodburning stove fans

old keeper

Has anyone got any recommendations as far as woodburning stove fans are concerned? Also is it worth getting one. I've been told the Valiant four blade job is good.

Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone got any recommendations as far as woodburning stove fans are concerned? Also is it worth getting one. I've been told the Valiant four blade job is good.

Any help would be appreciated.

Took delivery of a 4 blade fan 2 weeks ago. Brilliant. Its silent and really efficient without creating a huge draft in the room. Paid £48 for it from ebay.

Regards

Ed

I've got an Ecofan got it in Canada a while ago, really works well and totally silent. Well worth investing in one.

image.jpg

We moved into our current house some 2 years ago and it had economy 7 / no control of what time it came on so it just came on during the day so by 7 o'clock in the evening the house was cold ( even though we had the input set to maximum and output on slow release ).
Well after working outside all day every day this was starting to wear thin on me and my partner , so in January 2013 we had a Contura wood burner fitted!!!

We would not be without it , come in the door and within half hour of lighting it - it heats the room nice and cosy - we leave all the doors open in the house as it heats all the rooms too!!!

Last edited:
I have a stove top fan and it does work, E Bay/Amazon £45.
Check that it will fit on your stove first.

Different fans work best for different types of stove. European stoves with convection casing don't get so hot on the surface, so you might need a fan that starts at lower temperatures. Plus the really nice Vulcan Stirling Engine mechanical fans need about 180 degrees before they get going, but move loads more air. They work best on solid high output stoves.
Caframo are the best electric motor driven fans, and they recently relaunched their original model to compete with the Chinese copy rubbish.

Our current log burner, a Clearview, has to be closed right down to stop it burning and heating more than is bearable. Are there stoves where the draught is insufficient for them to properly heat ? There is only one wind direction (rare) here where the draught is noticeably less.
Our first, a Stoves 'open or closed' type would melt human flesh at ten yards. Both are fitted to stardard chimneys with liners - both however have separate air ducts layed from outside to provide good oxygen flow without requiring air from the room being heated.

Our current log burner, a Clearview, has to be closed right down to stop it burning and heating more than is bearable. Are there stoves where the draught is insufficient for them to properly heat ? There is only one wind direction (rare) here where the draught is noticeably less.
Our first, a Stoves 'open or closed' type would melt human flesh at ten yards. Both are fitted to stardard chimneys with liners - both however have separate air ducts layed from outside to provide good oxygen flow without requiring air from the room being heated.

Sounds as though you have a problem with excess draw making the stove run fast. Clearview (I think, we don't sell that brand) direct most of their air down the glass, so with excess draw you would have a fast wood fire with little control. Others like Stovax take too much air through the Cleanburn air ducts under those conditions, but do allow you to adjust it post installation. Other stoves like Heta and Morso are much better at dealing with excess draw because they take all the air through a single controllable port and then separate it out to the primary, secondary air systems etc. These regulate downwards very well without suffocating the stove, those clever Danes.

To cure the problem using your existing stove you could try a draft stabiliser, it goes onto the flue pipe in the room. As the chimney pulls excessively hard, the stabiliser will open a weighted flap to throttle the draw by taking room air instead of pulling through the stove. As the draw returns to a nice normal 12 pascals, it closes up and pulls normally through the stove. Nothing comes out of the flue into the room because it's always under negative pressure and the stove should run perfectly all the time.

Regards, David.
(we also sell woodburners)

The Americans are demanding catalytic treatments of the gasses like with cars (VW excepted), has that landed here yet?
Martin

mine is an 8kw burner and gives off disappointingly low heat....I expected to be melted if I got anywhere near it but not the case

The Americans are demanding catalytic treatments of the gasses like with cars (VW excepted), has that landed here yet?
Martin

No, that's the usual over regulation that America use to offset their guilt and excessive lifestyle :p They have chimney top catalysts that sit above giant belching open fires, supposedly "cleaning" the flue gases. We're going to have a set of Europe wide emissions standards coming in 2022 that demand a decent efficiency and low generation of nasties. It's a good idea and will hopefully wipe out some of the bad Chinese stoves.

Last edited:
mine is an 8kw burner and gives off disappointingly low heat....I expected to be melted if I got anywhere near it but not the case

An 8kW fire will warm a 20 x 25 foot room to 21 degrees C when it's zero degrees outdoors. If yours does not do that then it's not running at 8kW output. Usual causes are;
- excess draw on the chimney pulling away all of your heat before the stove can transfer it to the room
- too little draw, that is insufficnet to pull in enough combustion air and discharge the smoke
- bad fuel or not using enough kindling to get the stove up to good combustion temperatures. The insides should burn clean when it's nice and hot.
- a crap stove that was made in China based on a photo and only runs at 8kW if piled to the gunwales with smokeless fuel and all the air controls left wide open.

What stove is it?

Going off piste slightly but I had a lot of previuos experiences with log burners over the years either in my own houses or others. Anyway this Feb I had the resourses to fit one to my house. After much research (What stove is brilliant) and input from a very knowledhgable SD member I purchased a Burley Fireball (which insidentally I purchased from Sandpitts Stoves in Somerset they were cheaper than on line). Its rated at 4 kw.

It has turned out to be an absolute star buy, frugal, easy to use and creates minimal ash. It lives on a diet of sawn up pallets and some dry solid timber and keeps my 3 bed semi toasty warm.

Extermly efficient, DEFRA approved and significantly cheaper than the big brand names but in my eyes as good as the Morso's,Clearviews,Jotul and Wood warm. Its the Meopta of stoves!!!

Anyway back on piste I too was considering a stove top fan so eager to hear what others recommend.

D

We moved into our current house some 2 years ago and it had economy 7 / no control of what time it came on so it just came on during the day so by 7 o'clock in the evening the house was cold ( even though we had the input set to maximum and output on slow release ).
Well after working outside all day every day this was starting to wear thin on me and my partner , so in January 2013 we had a Contura wood burner fitted!!!

We would not be without it , come in the door and within half hour of lighting it - it heats the room nice and cosy - we leave all the doors open in the house as it heats all the rooms too!!!

Not to mention that you get free wood as well :D
Same here, finally moved to a place with 2 woodburners.
Getting told off for having the place too hot.
Have lived in a flat for 15 years with no way of using the free wood.
Bliss!

That's what I thought.....lol

it does heat the room eventually, but isn't the furnace I've witnessed with friends' woodburners where you need to open the room door to survive the heat!

Back