Thread: My new toy - advice wanted

My new toy - advice wanted

I went to my local gunshop on Saturday to get some ammunition. Poking around in the back I came across a very threadbare and tatty gun slip, inside which was a very lovely little .410 side by side boxlock non ejector shotgun by WJ Jeffery & Co Ltd, with 9 Golden Square, Regent St London on the Rib (OK, I know this a stalking directory, but Jeffery did and do make very nice stalking and big game rifles).

26" barrels, 15 1/2" stock with a beautiful piece of wood and extensive floral engraving on the action. Weight is 4lbs 8oz. Fits perfectly.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, and some point in its long life it has been unloved, and whilst externally it just needs a good clean, the jointing is a bit rattly and the bores are pretty pitted. When I say fortunately, it is now sitting in my safe for less than the cost of a day at the hinds.

It shoots very well (2 boxes of cartridges went through it at clays on Sunday), but admittedly I was a bit nervous and proof tested it first by putting it on the range, holding it down with a sandbag and tying a long piece of string around the triggers.

Any advice as a) getting rid of layers of grime off a stock, and b) polishing up the bores to get rid of some of the pitting - does any body know somebody who can carry out such work without requiring a second mortgage??

Many thanks

Hem SR20

Hi Heym,
    Elderkins at spalding quoted me 400 (ithink) to do the same work but on a 12 bore a year or so ago. Really. thats not too much money for the job to be done.

Getting the gunge off the stock can be done initially with a sharp piece of broken glass (tape up the egdge you hold). Just go steady, very lightly, scratch down through the layers until you get to the bare wood. Then you can use some very fine wire wool to complete the finish, following that, apply a few very light coats of walnut oil, buffing with the ball of you hand after each coat (it needs the heat from you hand). Give it a good polish and you're away. Did this with a Miroku 20 years ago and it still looks great.

Hi heym,
    it's hard to recomend someone to do the work without knowing where abouts you are located, i live in shropshire and know of a couple of brilliant gunsmiths in the area. as a matter of interest, you say that Jeffries are still going so why not give them a ring hopefully they can tell you a bit about the gun and may be interested in loking at it for you. I did this with a Smith 20 bore that my father owns, they practicaly begged me to take it in for them to see. whatever you do i would strongly sugest using someone thatcomes recomended to you even if it costs a bit extra. I had my game gun serviced a few years ago and it was never the same again.