Borden Timberline 7x57

Tikka 260

Something a bit different for the Forum, not being a "Tacticool" rifle in any way, but it might be of interest to some of the Guys.

Its been a long time not so much in the making, but more in the acquisition of the parts from the USA, which we all know is a royal PITA these days.

Essentially its a Borden Timberline action in CM, with a LW 22" CM barrel 9 twist, Jewel trigger, Williams Bottom Metal, Talley /Borden Mounts, topped off with a Swarovski 4-12 Z4i scope.

The metalwork is courtesy of our very own Redmist, thanks Andy for your patience and ability. The stock is by Gary Cane, styled on a traditional Rigby/English form, and is hand oil finished out of a plank of Black Walnut. I picked the plank, Gary did the rest and put the whole thing together at his workshop up in Norfolk.

I picked it up on Wednesday this week, and took it to the range this afternoon. It definitely shoots better than I can, as you can see from the first shot of the 3. Will the deer notice the error? Probably not.

I've got it going with Norma brass, H414, Nosler 140 ABs, Fed GM210 primers, and it seems to work OK , and without a lot of load development involved. I'll most likely try to refine it in the fullness of time, but for the moment that load will do for the Fallow.

Pros: Build quality, which is evident in the end results, and the balance of the rifle. It will be a great stalking rifle, of that I am already certain.

Cons: Build time, due to ITAR nonsense and non availability in UK of the parts.

Compromises: Due to the non availability of decent quality and appropriate magazine systems for Remington clone actions, we ended up with a traditional drop box. I would have had a detachable magazine, but thats just personal preference on my part.

Recommends: Both parties involved in the painstaking research for the "bits" and for bringing the idea to reality. Gary Canes craftsmanship is of the highest order.

So: a few pics?

No pics of the invisible cap, 'cos its invisible .

Thanks again to Andy and Gary, all credit to both of you.

Last edited:
Stunning mate. Is the idea to kill the deer with beauty?
I think it's about perfect in looks and it's obviously a shooter. Congrats on a cracking rifle

Beautiful ! The stock looks like an Al Biesen or Winchester Model 70 Supergrade from the early 1960s, but even better grade of wood. The red pad sets it off. And it shoots like a house afire !!

Hi

Thank you for sharing your completed work of art - stunning, beautiful et al........without doubt worth all the hassles etc. along the way and all the sweeter for it.

Enjoy - carefully!

Ciao

Very nice ,good to see no mod on I'd have stuck a set of quality open sights and some apels on too for good measure ,good hunting
norma

Fabulous rifle. The craftsmanship is excellent.

By way of constructive criticism, think about a slightly smaller scope, something in the order of a 2.5-10x42 would set that rifle off to a tee. I'm picking hairs though.

This rifle is probably the finest I have had the pleasure of having a part in building so far.

As a whole, the end result is stunning and exactly how I envisioned at the planning phase, the woodwork is stunningly beautiful.

I wish one day, i'll have the skill to be able to make my own stocks for my builds.

To say I'm pleased with the end result is an understatement.

I'll echo what others have said,,,more pics please!

:D

Now that is the nicest rifle I have seen in a while. I think its best with the floorplate rather than a magazine anyway.

a truly beautiful rifle! and in my dream calibre too. Thanks for sharing the photos and heres to many years of successful use. : regards sbm p.s i do agree that it would look better and mote 'traditional' without the bipod but it is yours not mine so I will shut up. fantastic rifle

Last edited:
Back