Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selling rifle while not in possession of FAC

selling rifle while not in possession of FAC

A quick query:

Is it possible/legal to sell a rifle while your FAC is away for variation?

Shouldn't be too much of a problem selling to a RFD as it's possible for them to take in guns from non certificate holders basically just to get them off the street, but I can't see any private individual buying a rifle off you if you can't prove that you have lawful authority to possess it in the first place.

Why don't you just have a word with your firearms department and ask them how they would like you to handle the situation as it could save you a few problems and most are usually quite accommodating if you explain the situation and make the right approach.
    Last edited by 8x57; 25-10-2014 at 13:10.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

What if you have a scan of the FAC, so are able to demonstrate that you hold one?

A scan has no legality whatsoever and could possibly be simply a scan of a self produced document. Unless it is someone I know I tend to be rather untrusting when making a private purchase. I certainly wouldn't buy off someone who couldn't produce their certificate after all the buyer needs to collect all the contact details and certificate number off the seller's certificate so that he can notify the police of the purchase. Even then if I had any real doubts I would be contacting the firearms department that issued the certificate in the first place.

Saying that the shooting world is a fairly small world and if you question someone about their shooting activities it isn't normally long before you find a mutual friend or someone who you both know which will allay your fears slightly. A phone call to the friend can confirm if the seller is a genuine person.
    Last edited by 8x57; 26-10-2014 at 07:25.

So from what you say, it's more a matter of the buyer trusting you rather than a strict legal requirement?

Not really. The buyer also has a responsibility to ensure that he is buying off someone who has a legal entitlement to possess the firearm.
    Not that the police would be that bothered if it got a firearm off the street that was currently in the possession of someone that shouldn't have it, but what if it was a stolen gun for instance? The buyer could be out of pocket and have nothing to show for it when the police take seize the gun when they become aware of its current location due to the notification process.

Why don't you simply contact your firearms department for clarification if you want to sell a gun and don't have your certificate to hand at the moment. They may very well O.K. it and it will give them a chance to amend your certificate by deleting the firearm while the certificate is still in their possession thereby saving work. Don't forget though that you may be applying for a 1-4-1 on your certificate so mention this to them also if that is the case. Communication can save a whole lot of aggro and delay in the future.

You're absolutely right that contacting the FEO is probably the best thing to do.

However, based on previous experience, I'm mildly reticent to do this - there has been a tendency for them to give advice that is later contradicted by a superior. In one instance, I got 3 almost mutually exclusive sets of advice, and was censured for following the wrong one!

Get them to confirm the advise in an email. You can even email them yourself saying "reference our telephone conversation of ../../.. please can you confirm the advise given which was blah blah blah".
    Obviously requesting an electronic receipt.

You can't beat a good trail of evidence.

Rfd to Rfd or Rfd to buy'r it is't a problem if its on his books, the Rfd pay's you after his bit has been paid (mark up) if this is the case . its just like selling at auction they sell it on your behalf and they enter there Rfd info on his cert .The paper chase is still the same the rifle comes into Rfd, rifle gets sold ,the Rfd has the right to sell it on and the item is on his books for the police to see inc the info of how he got it . lots of guns get handed in to Rfd's from folks that have no cert say in the case of the lawful holder is dead. 8X57 is quite correct contact your flo and tell him to send a letter or contact Your Rfd that has your rifle and confirm you are a holder and said number is the same as per rifle in his register or that's what i used to do, a fax from the flo office or nowdays an email would also do.

Pick up the phone to Police Scotland tell them what you want to achieve and they will advise. I had a house move additional calibre added and renewal for all my certs with a 1 month window and i have to say common sense prevailed which was refreshing. In my experience they are relatively sensible providing things are always safe and secure.