Sauer 202 caliber change

gixer1

Can anyone confirm a few things on the below for me as I cannot find a direct "yes" or "no"?

i currently have a 202 classic xt in 243 which is currently in storage back in the UK, I also have a T3 30-06 in storage in the same place.

i was looking around here in the USA where I will be for the next few years and the Sauer parts are WAY cheaper than I believe they are in the UK.

i believe if I wanted to change my 202 from 243 to 30-06 I need a bolt (6 lug magnum) a barrel (30-06 obviously) and a magazine (again in magnum - I believe it is 2 round) is this correct?

also what are the laws on taking a barrel and bolt back into the UK from the USA? Obviously it is not a gun as such but I would need to add this to my fac at home (which should be easy enough to do a one for one as I already have 30-06) or is it the same procedure and costs as shipping a gun? Anyone ever done this from USA to UK? I looked at it to get my guns shipped on the way here and the paperwork was literally ridiculous and having to organise dealers on both the uk and US side and collections/shipping just seemed like they were making it more hassle than it was worth, also the fact that all four dealers I spoke to in the UK and the 2 here did the big inhale through their teeth as soon as I mentioned it!

also can anyone tell me what the current price of these parts are in the UK as I haven't checked for a while but I know they were way over what I can get them for here! (£1000 delivered basically!)

i did consider trading my T3 for a 101 in 30-06 when I got back but if I can buy the parts here and take them back it would be more cost effective. I also looked at used 202's in 30-06 but they hold their money very well so again the barrel combo would work out cheaper.

any help is appreciated.

regards,
gixer

I think all you need is new magazine and barrel, same bolt.
Did you call Euro Optics? They are a big stocking dealer of Sauer.
Euro Optics Ltd.

no, unfortunately you need the bolt too as the 243 is 3 lug, the 30-06 is 6 lug...

euro optic are the distributor here in the USA so that is where the pricing is from.

thanks for the input.

regards,
Gixer

That is good to know, though I have no intention of changing out the .308 barrel on my Sauer.

You might find a Model 200 much more cheaply than a 202, even the entire rifle, and just cannibalize it.

Can anyone confirm a few things on the below for me as I cannot find a direct "yes" or "no"?

i believe if I wanted to change my 202 from 243 to 30-06 I need a bolt (6 lug magnum) a barrel (30-06 obviously) and a magazine (again in magnum - I believe it is 2 round) is this correct?

regards,
gixer

I have a Sauer 202 and you are correct about needing a new bolt and magazine for the 30-06 barrel except its called "standard" 6 lug bolt and magazine NOT MAGNUM ! The magnum bolt and mag are obviously for magnum calibers :)

Last edited:
Back