Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF: New Co-op TV advert

WTF: New Co-op TV advert

Dear Co-operative Bank

I've just seen your "ethics" advert on the television, and am concerned that you show a travelling bullet... Are you claiming that rifle shooting is not ethical?

I'm confused, as you seem to be shedding CEOs under "ethical" clouds like my Labrador does hair:

September 2014 - Married Niall Booker is caught having a relationship with the very person in HR that is meant to be watching over him and the Board. The comment from the bank was "The bank does not comment on the private lives of its members of staff." Interesting then that you can get involved in the private lives of your customers...

March 2014 - Euan Sunderland walks, branding the bank "ungovernable" after colleagues leak details of his pay cheque. Hardly ethical of the Board is it...

The best for last though:
    June 2013 - Paul Flowers, previously a Methodist Minister and local councillor, with no banking experience, resigns after being caught buying cocaine, crystal meth and rent boys...

I would humbly suggest that you are hardly in a position to judge the "ethics" of others.

With regards
    Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

The Co-op has long been known for its anti shooting views. Try insuring your guns with them if you don't believe me.
    I have refused to bank or do any business with that organisation for a good many years, long before the latest round of scandals hit the headlines.

On top of that they have a very poor reputation as regards fire safety in their shops and have been prosecuted several times under the fire safety order resulting in many of tens of thousands of pounds in fines. I wonder if the members realise how much of their divi has been lost to the courts in fines. Some ethical organisation they are when they put profit before public safety.
    Last edited by 8x57; 26-10-2014 at 09:08.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldsod View Post
    is this it ??

Interesting ad, wonder where they got a firearm that discharges the cartridge as well as the bullet?

Should add that I'm not against ethical lending - but people should be aware that each country has it's own standards and we would need all arms manufacturers and governments to abide by the same standards.
    Something I would doubt that will happen in my lifetime.
    Last edited by LuckyEddie; 26-10-2014 at 09:18.

That's the one. Ok, it focuses on genocide in its entirety, but how many will see beyond the single bullet - I know I did, as that's all that I saw when I looked up from making breakfast for the children...

Probably an over-reaction on my part, and taken in isolation not an issue, but added to all the negative press at the moment...
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 26-10-2014 at 09:16. Reason: spelling
    Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

was that a new type of ammo case inc and not case less !!!! what a load of b?******* no wonder they are a s**t company that lets drug and pedo's run it.!!!!

Ethics - It makes me pewk to think that these people live & trade in a country protected by our lads who have to use bullets to keep us safe.
    If they didn't - what sort of place would we live in? GRRRRR!

I took out a low-interest Co-op credit card about 20 years ago when I arrived back in the UK & needed access to some money to purchase equipment to get going. They gave me a stupid limit of £15,000 when I didn't own a house or have a job; doesn't seem terribly ethical to me! I now use it exclusively for shooting purchases as they refuse to have anything to do with shooting accounts.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I saw this video and couldn't help laughing.

By June the Co-operative bank had lost over 28,000 customers since the beginning of 2014 and made pre-tax losses of just under £76m in the same period.

The video is designed as what some might argue is a cynical marketing attempt to address the perception that the Co-operative Bank might dilute its ethical policy, following the bank's £1.5bn rescue package that resulted in US hedge funds taking the majority stake. The Co-op group now owns less than 20% of the shareholding.

So far as the video, the Co-op has come under fire for the fact that the tattoo depicted in the video is itself a fake. Recognising this publicly, apparently the head of their values and ethics committee didn't then see the irony in her statement when she said that they see "a tattoo as a way to very publicly or sometimes very privately make a statement about an enduring commitment to something". Apparently enduring commitment, at least in the Co-ops view, is something that is transient and can be diluted and erased over time.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 26-10-2014 at 10:43.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I recieved a letter from them which read... "due to insufficient funds we cannot process your cheque". Jeeze they must be skint?