Belleisle deer are terrorised by dogs

Tartan_Terrier

LOOSE dogs have been terrorising deer in Ayr’s Belleisle Park in the dead of night

The revelation comes after two terrified Bambis died trying to flee the hounds last year. The innocent pair were killed making desperate attempts to scale a thick wall bordering Doonfoot Road to escape the mutts. Despite the deaths, owners have been letting their rampant pets run wild in the deer’s special fenced-off sanctuary again.......

Rest of article here: Belleisle deer are terrorised by dogs | Ayr | News | Ayr Advertiser

Obviously people shouldn't be letting their dogs run riot in deer parks, but I was rather surprised by the emotional language used in this article (okay, it's not the Scotsman or Herald, but even so......)

Does anyone have any local knowledge of this area? Are they actual park deer or has a corner of the area been fenced off and wild deer are sometimes seen there? Wouldn't surprise me if it was the latter.

Novice

Yip used to go there as a kid and stay 15min from the area, they are park deer. I do wounder how these dogs are managing to get into the park as you used to only be able to look in from the side as it isn't exactly a large park.

Shoot 1 of the dogs, you would if it was worring sheep. Might make the owners think twice in future.

Shoot 1 of the dogs, you would if it was worring sheep. Might make the owners think twice in future.
Would this fall under protection of livestock as they are park deer? Pretty sure you can't shoot dogs worrying wild deer but this might be an option with enclosed deer?

Park deer are need for meat, so therefore are classed as livestock, so yes, you can shoot a dog that's worrying them.

Back