yukon photon setting up.(users of the photons advice please)

bobjs

ok lads.

who has one set up at the mo on a 17 hmr,

me and a shooting bud on here (steve) have set his up and im just waiting for mine to get here,

we set steves up at 35 yards (as i use this range when setting up a 17 with a normal scope)and we had a cracking small group that we where happy with, found this a bit tricky with the doubler on it and the ir was a bit overpowering at 35 yards

We then went out to 100 yards and found that it was shooting about 2" right and 2" high, we re-zerod it and have been happy to take on bunnies out to 120 yards and a wee bit more.

what i am asking is this,

is there a best/better range to zero at that will then let you shoot out to say 150 yards etc. I think trying to hit a 1" white square at 100 yards with the unit could be a bit tricky for me.I am looking at a range no more than 150 max.

kit i will have is this

photon 5 x 42 MK1
1.7 mag doubler and adaptor
mark610 T20 ir torch

last but not least Steve said the daytime image is very good with the lens cap on etc ,I have not looked through it in daylight as yet ? have you used it in the day time to shoot/zero etc, and if so how did you and it perform.

cheers

bob.

almost forgot.

if you zero at night or day time did the POI change when used in the opposite hunting mode; ie zero in day light and you where off when shooting in nv mod at night and viseversa...if you know what i mean,

Last edited:
Hi Bob

Cant comment on it on a 17, but mines on a 22 and I did zero it in daylight with no issues, it still hits same spot at night, Ive used it a couple of times at last light and its ok...Biggest issue for me has been judging distances. Few times Ive known the rabbit is at say 70m but through the scope I would have put it at 50m.

Hi D

thank you

I'll set mine up in daylight me thinks, it will help me eliminate the human error (i hope)

thanks

bob.

Bob. Get a butler creek to fit the objective, and put a 30mm hole in and keep that on, it improves the picture and makes it less focus fussy

ok lads.

who has one set up at the mo on a 17 hmr,

me and a shooting bud on here (steve) have set his up and im just waiting for mine to get here,

we set steves up at 35 yards (as i use this range when setting up a 17 with a normal scope)and we had a cracking small group that we where happy with, found this a bit tricky with the doubler on it and the ir was a bit overpowering at 35 yards

We then went out to 100 yards and found that it was shooting about 2" right and 2" high, we re-zerod it and have been happy to take on bunnies out to 120 yards and a wee bit more.

what i am asking is this,

is there a best/better range to zero at that will then let you shoot out to say 150 yards etc. I think trying to hit a 1" white square at 100 yards with the unit could be a bit tricky for me.I am looking at a range no more than 150 max.

kit i will have is this

photon 5 x 42 MK1
1.7 mag doubler and adaptor
mark610 T20 ir torch

last but not least Steve said the daytime image is very good with the lens cap on etc ,I have not looked through it in daylight as yet ? have you used it in the day time to shoot/zero etc, and if so how did you and it perform.

cheers

bob.

almost forgot.

if you zero at night or day time did the POI change when used in the opposite hunting mode; ie zero in day light and you where off when shooting in nv mod at night and viseversa...if you know what i mean,

i have the MK 1 photon and zeroed at 50 for the LR in day light with the cap supplied I now have zeroed at 75 yds at it is bang on, the IR I use is the pulsar 850 and that suites the scope down to the ground, the when I used a doubler it needed re zeroing have since taken that off and use the scope on its own have no problem with any of the kit. Apparently the 850 had a filter on it but it does the job on the mk1

got the mk2 when it come out, works a treat, it is more affected by daylight and you need the front filter cover on to use it during the daytime, I sold the MK2 to my mate for his WMR and it is subbing .50 at a hundred that's with the digital reticule, I have gone back to the MK 1 on the LR and WMR as they suit me and have an external power jack point which is superb for long haul nights

good luck

phil

1st used mine on .308 zeroed at 2" black splash dot target at 100yrds daylight , then on the 17 zeroed done it at night 75yrds on a box with a lamp inside it so i zeroed on spot from lamp showing inside the box. now on .22 done this at 50 yrds in daylight no probs used splash targets. i have a fishing reel locking ring added so make it better to focus the front ring look up Nylon Breakaway Coasters.
:tiphat:

thank you all so much.

just back in from checking out the hole in the flip up thing and it works a treat.

sadly i have lost out on the ebay one by 35 seconds (a bl00dy fix) if you ask me, a mate was bidding on it for me and it was a steel.

i have seen the coaster thing used before so ill keep looking around for another one.

thanks

ps: my ir lamp has just the one setting, does anyone use one with 2 or 3 settings for close mid and longer range illumination,

bob.

Philip which has the better range and clarity the mk1 or the mk2? I am not sure what to get yet.

may have another in my fishing sea box i'll have a dig around if i'v got one ill pm you for your info again bob:tiphat:

thank you all so much.

just back in from checking out the hole in the flip up thing and it works a treat.

sadly i have lost out on the ebay one by 35 seconds (a bl00dy fix) if you ask me, a mate was bidding on it for me and it was a steel.

i have seen the coaster thing used before so ill keep looking around for another one.

thanks

ps: my ir lamp has just the one setting, does anyone use one with 2 or 3 settings for close mid and longer range illumination,

bob.

may have another in my fishing sea box i'll have a dig around if i'v got one ill pm you for your info again bob:tiphat:

cheers big man.

Im still looking for a photon, i missed one for £270 Paul and that would have made my day had i got that.

hope the family are well sir.

bob.

one of the keepers this way got one inc a t20 lamp £300 on fleebay last Friday bargin. have a look in the morrow boss just in case pm me your info again and ill get it of to you feller.

one of the keepers this way got one inc a t20 lamp £300 on fleebay last Friday bargin. have a look in the morrow boss just in case pm me your info again and ill get it of to you feller.

ok paul

pm on its way.

thank you

a couple on ebay at silly prices but i am away now for a week so ill check on my return.

bob.

I have the mark 1 on a remi 204 not had it long zeroed it at 100 yards in daylight my lens cap was missing and found it hard to see target so made it 3 inch round black to pick it up . I managed to get 4 out of four in the circle and since I want it for foxes I was happy with the grouping .I have now played with it a few times , still not got close enough for a shot on a fox so have practiced on rabits from 50 to 100 yards with great success looking forward to that first fox .
Our foxes are so lamp shy now we have been spooting with a green torch animals not supposed to see it but rabbits definitely do , I think I will need to get a nv to spot with any suggestions from you lads that wont break the bank? as to the nv torches I bought the nightmaster 800 to go with it but it came with the firefox nv torch haveing used both I think I should have saved my money the Firefox is good enough you can clearly see from one side to the other on any normal field and identify foxes out to 200 yds great bit of kit for the price.

Back