Copper only bullets for deer

jb7x57

Just been talking to a stalking friend he says FC Scotland are now only allowing deer stalking with non lead bullets ????

Bullets

Think it only applies if you are stalking for them not a lease holder, won't be long though

I understand that has been the case for some time. They work well providing the differences are recognised. In general most (including myself) advocate a lighter than usual bullet pushed as fast as possible. The 130g 308 TTSX works very well in my hands as does the 140g TSX out of a 7 RM. The 120g TTSX out of a 6.5 is also meant to be excellent

Will a 243 manage legal minimum power with lead free? I'm shortly to apply for a deer rifle and dont want to get stuck with a rifle that's not up to the job.

Will a 243 manage legal minimum power with lead free? I'm shortly to apply for a deer rifle and dont want to get stuck with a rifle that's not up to the job.

You shouldn't have a problem in England & Wales but you may have a problem if you are intending to use it in Scotland with larger deer which would require a 100 grn bullet as a minimum.

I asked the question the other day on another thread about the FC in Scotland requirement for non lead bullets. I had heard that while the FC had introduced a requirement for the use of non lead bullets some time ago they have since dropped it due to a few problems. No one answered my question fully, so does anyone know for certain if this is the case. I am only asking out of curiosity. I know we have a few FC rangers on the site perhaps one of them can inform us of the actual situation and not just the rumours that have been doing the rounds.

If you can push a 100gr, .243, cup and core standard Sec 5 projectile at the required speed why would you not be able to push a 100gr copper solid to the same velocity?
If anything do they not attain higher MV due to the reduced friction of a driving band design rather than full bearing surface?

The question with .243 that is more relevant is around standard 1:10 twist barrels and a bullet that may be 25% longer being stabilised.
never tried but am sure they work in plenty of rifles

I wasn't thinking of any velocity issues I was thinking about the scarcity of non lead 100+ grn bullets in 6mm calibre.

Good ole Forestry Commission! Last year they were saying that this year all stalking leases would be "lead free" as a condition of the new management stalking contracts that were being issued.
Now they appear to be renaging on this & are not giving out clear signals. Bl**dy typical of them!
It would be good to hear from someone up here who is running with a new contract about what is really going on.

If they do bring in the lead free requirement - there will be more 243 rifles for sale in Scotland & also the rifle smiths will be fitting lots of fast twist 6mm barrels so that people can comply.
Plus the supply chain for lead free ammo & bullets will be really stretched to busting point! It is struggling now - Just imagine the fun should it all happen!

Ian

I believe that the FC wanted and probably still wants to go to using the non-toxic ammo. They have had problems in doing so. Some of their rifles would shoot well with certain non toxic ammo and some would not. So understandably rangers who could not get their particular rifles to shoot well with the non-toxic ammo was reluctant to use them. Their intentions were good as they were concerned about possible lead particles being left in grallochs. I dont think the FC had any great scheme or conspiracy to cause hassle for anyone.

Their intentions were good as they were concerned about possible lead particles being left in grallochs.

and thereby fixing a problem that doesn't exist.....
At least half the country still has a section of lead mains water pipe between their tap and the mains!

and thereby fixing a problem that doesn't exist.....
At least half the country still has a section of lead mains water pipe between their tap and the mains!

It is thought that birds of prey feeding on grallochs could ingest harmful lead particles. I fail to see the connection with lead mains water pipes. Surely the FC isnt to blame for lead mains water pipes

Maybe the FC does have nice high morals - I don't accuse them of not having them.
BUT there is no need for bumbling along & getting things wrong. That's just plain incompetence.
As a government, nation wide organization (that we all help pay for through taxes) with enough people on the ground to effect proper research & information gathering, why can they not make proper analysis & decisions? It only takes a few competent leaders to manage it.
There are also loads of colleges & universities with people who need to do thesis' that could be encouraged to do some of the technical analysis / reporting etc.
Any reporting (& I believe there must be some being done) should be coordinated & put out into the real world & not hidden in "qwangoland" where it just gets lost & we who are paying for it get no benefit from it!

Ian

Couple of things that I would like to know.
1 how much copper is required to kill a tree?
2 I believe that some ranges have banned solid bullets as they ricochet something dreadful and are copper bullets in this category?

Anybody care to impart their knowledge?

Ed

It is thought that birds of prey feeding on grallochs could ingest harmful lead particles. I fail to see the connection with lead mains water pipes. Surely the FC isnt to blame for lead mains water pipes

Surely ingesting lead poisoning from bullet fragments in grallochs are not the major cause of the decline of Birds of Prey? (well its not really a question as it clearly isn't! The major issue of ingested lead in BoP's is that coming out of 12 bores! directly or indirectly!!)
Clearly no interest in saving badgers and foxes who probably consume more gralloch than most!

My point was how much lead is there being sprayed around the country in the pursuit of 30,000 deer compared to the tons that we drink water through every day!
the tons that has been put into the atmosphere through leaded fuels and still persists in flora and fauna
etc etc

Couple of things that I would like to know.
1 how much copper is required to kill a tree?
2 I believe that some ranges have banned solid bullets as they ricochet something dreadful and are copper bullets in this category?

Anybody care to impart their knowledge?

Ed

A lot!
200-600 mg/kg of soil produces stunting and root growth deficiencies.

same argument against lead applies here
not likely from shooting alone

Back