Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind turbines

Wind turbines

Hate them or love them they do make for some interesting photographs......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000062.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	48487
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

if only we could keep them offshore in Scotland

I don't mind them out at sea but in North Wales they have ruined acres of beautiful landscape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-02 13.56.17.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	48491
    just over the hill from my first sighting of a sika stag . He was a big chocolate coloured boy who crossed the road and stared at me as i drove by
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-10-15 09.57.41.jpg  
    Last edited by scoop; 27-10-2014 at 22:10.

Just watched a small one knock a bird clean out the sky yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Just watched a small one knock a bird clean out the sky yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    if only we could keep them offshore in Scotland
    It's very interesting but I ran over an owl the other day, then drove past the Chappel Cross site which is a former nuclear power station currently being decommissioned which will takes decades. It's very easy to grumble about turbines, the visual impact of them etc etc but roads, cities and commercial forestry etc is really ugly for the most and take for instance animal deaths and traffic, oils spills, pollution and radiological bi-products for other forms of energy production that need storage space probably closer than you think.

Give me turbines anyday above other options even biomass stations, you can take them down and return the land to it's former state in a few years and they are a pretty good stop gap to make sure the energy needs for the UK are covered. Try removing major power plants and return the land to it's original form.... best you can do with a nuclear power plant is bury it then what!? The land will always be there under the turbines and they are not permenent although they might outlive most of us, if we want to leave the lights on and have 3 TV's then they need to be there.
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 28-10-2014 at 12:29.

As the previous poster said.

They are not pretty and they are not perfect but we don't have many realistic options at the present time, we can't continue to burn fossil fuels, and nuclear is too scary to even consider, .think of your grand kids and their grand kids.

Renewable energy is not very efficient at this moment in time, but its where we should be looking to in the future
    if that means putting up with unsightly wind turbines at the present time, so be it.

As previous poster said the land could be easily restored to its natural state some time in the future,you can never ever do that with nuclear.

I really don't understand people who complain about wind turbines spoiling the view - the alternatives are all substantially worse.

Really? You'd prefer something with fuc*king great cooling towers and plumes of smoke/steam on your nice moorland instead? Oh - but they're ok because they're in someone else's backyard, so I get my power AND my view and sod the rest of you...

I live within spitting distance of three large power stations and all can be seen at the same time if I walk 400 yards from my door !!!! So give me wind turbines any day !!!!!
    All pull together to raise the phoenix from the ashe