beech v walnut

pj1

Popped into the gun shop today and had a look at a CZ 557 with a beech stock. Its doesn't have any fancy grain but was pleasing to the eye so it got me thinking. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different woods used for stocks.

There was a nice Sauer 200 second hand but at twice the price of the CZ I think it will stay on the shelf

Regards Pete

I will ask my brother about that as he's a joiner. Zebra wood would make an instant laminate affect

Beech is very dense, fine grain, very stable. That is why it is used for wooden tools, like block planes and folding stick rules.

Military stocks, like for the Swiss K31, are mostly beech. It has very straight grain and no figure to speak of. You will see it on some target rifles.

Personally I prefer the appearance of a good Walnut stock over Beech. In utility terms I don't suppose there is any significant difference but plastic stocks are much better and more robust. That said I developed a dislike of plastic when I owned a Remington 597 and now all my guns have wooden stocks.

atb Tim

I have to agree that walnut looks beautiful, but if you think of all the service rifles that were stocked in beech and how it stood up to the abuse they suffered it might be good for a true working rifle if you didn't want to go down the synthetic route.

David.

I have to agree that walnut looks beautiful, but if you think of all the service rifles that were stocked in beech and how it stood up to the abuse they suffered it might be good for a true working rifle if you didn't want to go down the synthetic route.

David.
Beech was plentiful and local! Strong enough to do the job. Thats why it was used.
Beautiful in its own way.

Nice choice to the OP.

I have some beech stocks from FN rifles here that would blow your brains, they can be very very nice, or equally naff too if badly finished.

I have to say, if it's the 557 with the checkering in the thumb fluting, that would put me right off, a bit like a bad trend that always was, remained, and always will be a bad trend

Is any slow growing deciduous hardwood acceptable as a stock?? I work in a botanic gardens so I get timber from trees that are very rare, stuff you just can't buy in the UK and have often wondered if more could be done with it?

Yes sorry it does look that way. I must admit if the sauer was mint I would be seriously tempted but I just can't see spending that much on a second hand rifle when it's not as clean as I would like it. I still think the cz is the wise choice but I just wished they did the lux stock with a clean barrel and as pkl says without the checkering in the thumb groove

Yes sorry it does look that way. I must admit if the sauer was mint I would be seriously tempted but I just can't see spending that much on a second hand rifle when it's not as clean as I would like it. I still think the cz is the wise choice but I just wished they did the lux stock with a clean barrel and as pkl says without the checkering in the thumb groove

good news is that you can remove the checkering in the thumb fluting and re-finish the stock to bring out the veining and give it a nice finish that it deserves. if the stock is sturdy and well laid out then much better than a beautiful stock that warps and cracks

Back