Thread: Telescopes??????

Evening all,looking to get a telescope for Christmas off the wife.I am a complete novice when it comes to star gazing and don't really know what to buy.According to the bbc site they recommend a Newtonian reflector?.
    We have a budget of only £200 so I know I'm not going to get a lot for that money but any advice on make or size would be appreciated.

Star gazing my a**e, you'll get arrested for that

Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post

Star gazing my a**e, you'll get arrested for that

What do you mean ade,I would never do that

I bought a telescope when I was a kid it had something like 230X magnification and it was a Tasco. Had lots of bits and pieces but as it was a 60mm objective lens it really shouldnt have had any more than a 60x magnification to see anything. They say 1x magnification for every millimeter of objective lens diameter is optimal. looking at my telescope therefore I should have had a 230mm objective if I wanted any hope of seeing anything other than a bright moon at 230X. So I would recommend looking at a Meade reflector telescope... not too sure on price but if you are looking at distant planets/ etc you need a good size telescope. I would recommend you try to save more as you may be disappointed with a budget item. Try to go to an astronomy club to see what others are currently using. Hope this helps.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    By all accounts mate something like this
    Your just going to have to do some surfing to find out what the astro geeks think
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    By all accounts mate something like this
    Your just going to have to do some surfing to find out what the astro geeks think
    thanks Glynn,the wife has bought it and it is a skywatcher with 150mm tube,not sure on exact model but it was recommended on a few geeky sights.
    Not sure of the magnification scot762, but will find out in a few days!

That looks like it will do the job. A lot of telescope for the money. Enjoy.

Best me to it
    For that money , best you will get is the Dobsonian reflector .
    Cheap east computerized gimbal version half decent will be 350 quid ish ....
    If you hadn't bought already ... Some good stuff 2nd hand if look about....
    I was very lucky thru word of mouth & got a Meade lx90 with a pile of accessories for 700 & it's mint ..... Upwards of 2k otherwise

Enjoy !