Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Underlever accuracy

Underlever accuracy

I fancy something like a Browning BLR lightweight in .308 either a take-down or a battue with a low power scope for driven hunts, something I could also use for woodland stalking.
    Can anyone tell me how the accuracy of short barrelled underlevers compares to a standard bolt action?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

As accurate as the shooter, many a deer has fallen to my 3030 marlin

Not much love for underlevers then?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall
    Plenty of love here. Don't own one but shoot several at the club. Never a BLR but lots of Marlins and the like. Nice and accurate in my experience. If I was after another rifle it'd probably be a 30-30 under lever or a .358 BLR.

I own a BLR Lightweight with 20-inch barrel in 7mm-08, which is as accurate as most bolt action rifles. It has a rotating bolt which locks into the barrel, like a Sauer 202. It is 6.5 lbs, and I use the iron sights. Bought it used with a Zeiss on it, which I sold off to a friend. I have Warne bases on it now, so I can carry a little 4x32 in my pocket, for shots over 200 yards, but have not used it afield.

Very handy rifle. A takedown in .325 WSM intrigues me.

I had a BLR with steel receiver and 22-inch barrel in .30-06, which was rough but shot superbly. I refinished the stock, reblued the steel, and sold it to a friend who borrowed it several times and fell in love.

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Supposedly underlever accuracy, like bolt action rifle accuracy, is affected by many factors. ONE of which is does the bolt lock up at the rear (like a Lee Enfield) or at the front (like a Mauser). Another is if the rifle has a one or two piece stock.

Most "old school" lever actions lock up at the rear. Think Wincheser 94 and etc. But many MODERN lever action rifles including your Browning BLR lock up at the front. In fact it would be true to say that your BLR is a front locking BOLT ACTION rifle where the bolt is operated by a lever...rather than being a true lever action.

So yes its accuracy will not be affected by the less desirable feature or rear locking lucks but may be affected by all the other variables that affect rifles. One other of which may be that it has a two piece stock.

You should find that it shoots well and indeed very well. But no it won't shoot to desirable but often unrealistically set standards that seem to becoming widespread such as all three shots in the same hole at one hundred yards.

My late friend had one, a .308 Browning BLR, when the odious Thatcher and her Home Secretary Douglas Hurd banned pump action rifles...he purchased it to replace his .308 Remington 760 when they were banned in 1988. I seem to recall a gold plated trigger and when you worked the action the rera non rotating part of the bolt came out the rear of the action like a rod with serrations in it. Looking like part of an arbor press.

It was a good accurate rifle...
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 30-10-2014 at 16:08.

Some of the older lever actions ( Winchester 1892, Marlin 336, Marlin 1895, Win 1886 and M71, Savage 1899) lock up very tight and are capable of 1 MOA accuracy with a tuned up handload. The limiting factor is that most have iron sights on them.

We put a scope on a friend's Marlin .45-70 to test mild load of 300-gr over H-4198 at 1,800 fps, and got it shooting 5 shots in a (big) cloverleaf.

I am working with a Marlin 336 with a half magazine and 24-inch barrel now that shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards with a 10x scope on it. I putting a Lyman 17A globe front sight and a Lyman receiver sight on it as a poor man's underlever single shot, since I am unlikely to ever find a Browning 1885 Traditional Hunter, which I crave.

treat them like a shotgun firing slugs 100m at best with iron sights, ideal in brush i have a simmons 4x20 for longer distances

You only got to watch a few of them old westerns to see they are amazing. John Wayne can shoot the fleas of his dog at 500 yds with one. While riding his horse at 40mph. Bad guys get shot off hill tops. They hold at least 30 rounds up the spout, so plenty of opportunity for a back up shot.

If you want versatility, go Marlin .444. You can download it to .44 Special power with lead bullets, or up to .44 Magnum power, or up to like a mild .375 H&H from a Sako carbine, with a 265-gr bullet at 2,450 fps. That is a strong 150-yard rifle.

If you want to go first class, buy a Winchester Model 71 in .348 and sell it for no loss later. The Browning reproductions are nice, too. These are accurate, the ultimate timber rifle, and a 200 yard rifle in the right hands.