Budget 30-06

gixer1

Ok, so i'm on the lookout for a budget ($700 max) 30-06 over here in the US of A, I will only own this for a few years and then will be selling as I cannot take it back with me and already have a T3 30-06 in the UK hence the requirement for it to be lower priced.

It will be used for range and hunting pig, deer and possibly some other big beasties if the opportunity comes up...

I am familiar with the UK/Euro brands and a few of the US but there seems to be some difference in the models here.

The ones that keep getting put infront of me in the gun shops are -

Remmington (770) comes with a cheap scope for $229 - I have been told to avoid these and also read this on the web.

Ruger (American) around $300 it feels a little cheap to be honest.

Mossberg ATR $330 with scope - looks and feels ok but I have no knowledge of these (i know they make an ok shotgun!)

Thomson centre/venture $300 - again no knowledge of these.

Tikka T3 $650 I know these are good but have one so want to try something else for a change.

Savage Axis XP accu trigger model $340 no knowledge of these but a freind has a 17hmr 93 savage and it seems ok.

Mossberg Trek - $350 - no knowledge again.

Winchester mod 70 - $400 used but I hear good things

Springfield 03 used - $420 no knowledge.

Browning A bolt $560 - don't really like brownings usually

Browning X bolt - $580 see above.

Rem 700 = $700 ok but tha last one I shot had an awful trigger.

Weatherby vangaurd - owned one before but the trigger was awful.

So what are the thoughts, any info/opinions on the above?

The other point is they have semi-auto 30-06's here (remmington 742's mostly)....which is appealing due to the fact I wont get that in the UK! but are they any good? must be a hard hitting semi-auto!

Having a sauer at home has spoiled me....
:(
Regards,

Gixer

Last edited:
Stay away from the El Cheapo Remington and Mossberg. Savage Edge and Marlin XL7 are very good.

Good values:
Older Remington M700 ADL, around $400 in splendid condition.

Marlin XL7, around $300.00 new. Very good value.

1903A3 sporter - can be great bargains, but you need someone who knows them to help you pick one out.

Winchester M70 XTR push feed, $400 or so.

Ruger M77 MkII used $350 to $400.

Howa 1500, another great value in a rifle.

Used Browning BLR for $400 or so.

A buddy of mine just won a XL-7 308 in a raffle. This is the third XL-7 I have shot and like the previous two, it was exceptionally accurate with all loads.~Muir

Ok, so i'm on the lookout for a budget ($700 max) 30-06 over here in the US of A, I will only own this for a few years and then will be selling as I cannot take it back with me and already have a T3 30-06 in the UK hence the requirement for it to be lower priced.

It will be used for range and hunting pig, deer and possibly some other big beasties if the opportunity comes up...

I am familiar with the UK/Euro brands and a few of the US but there seems to be some difference in the models here.

The ones that keep getting put infront of me in the gun shops are -

Remmington (770) comes with a cheap scope for $229 - I have been told to avoid these and also read this on the web.

Ruger (American) around $300 it feels a little cheap to be honest.

Mossberg ATR $330 with scope - looks and feels ok but I have no knowledge of these (i know they make an ok shotgun!)

Thomson centre/venture $300 - again no knowledge of these.

Tikka T3 $650 I know these are good but have one so want to try something else for a change.

Savage Axis XP accu trigger model $340 no knowledge of these but a freind has a 17hmr 93 savage and it seems ok.

Mossberg Trek - $350 - no knowledge again.

Winchester mod 70 - $400 used but I hear good things

Springfield 03 used - $420 no knowledge.

Browning A bolt $560 - don't really like brownings usually

Browning X bolt - $580 see above.

Rem 700 = $700 ok but tha last one I shot had an awful trigger.

Weatherby vangaurd - owned one before but the trigger was awful.

So what are the thoughts, any info/opinions on the above?

The other point is they have semi-auto 30-06's here (remmington 742's mostly)....which is appealing due to the fact I wont get that in the UK! but are they any good? must be a hard hitting semi-auto!

Having a sauer at home has spoiled me....
:(
Regards,

Gixer

buy an FN 98 30-06...you will love it and you can take it back with you if you have an open slot in the UK, you can then either use it here (UK) or re-build it to something interesting up to mag sizes with just a tad bit of work.

do it..

buy an FN 98 30-06...you will love it and you can take it back with you if you have an open slot in the UK, you can then either use it here (UK) or re-build it to something interesting up to mag sizes with just a tad bit of work.

do it..

it really isn't worth the trouble taking guns either way theres that much red tape and hoops to jump through...

Sounds like the marlin is worth a look.

regards,
gixer.

it really isn't worth the trouble taking guns either way theres that much red tape and hoops to jump through...

Sounds like the marlin is worth a look.

regards,
gixer.

if you have a UK FAC and an open slot for a 30-06 you just board the plane with it in the US and add it to your FAC when you pass through customs/border controls.

it's really no big deal

Really? That sounds far too easy.

you might need a US document to say you're travelling with it, but nothing more complex than a travel document. My FEO told me in details how he used to do this frequently, said it was the easiest thing to do, but everyone 'thought' it was this big massive and expensive paperwork exercise, so was rarely done...

You need to pack the rifle and ammunition using a TSA ( Transportation industry group) approved locking case, inform the airline, check the bag; they will put inside a tag which shows up on X-ray to indicate it is declared to them. Same rules inside the USA.

No problems traveling state to state with a rifle or shotgun. You can even travel with a handgun state to state on the way to hunt or a shooting match or training. Handguns get tricky because of left-wing states will ignore federal rules on handguns and try to prosecute you, like MA, MD and NJ.

If you have some paperwork like hunting license or bookings for hunting, that will help. I will get a copy of the rules and post it later.

if you have a UK FAC and an open slot for a 30-06 you just board the plane with it in the US and add it to your FAC when you pass through customs/border controls.

it's really no big deal

i don't...and I have a 30/06 at home in the UK so don't need to add and re ATF paperwork is a nightmare, along with finding a courier to drop the gun at an airport (as I can't hand carry it due to the route I will be taking home) and then you need a firearms dealer here in the U.S. and one in the UK (try calling one and asking them to do this - I have tried several)

so, back to the ones here - I handled a savage 111 today - what are the thoughts on that?

regards,
gixer

i don't...and I have a 30/06 at home in the UK so don't need to add and re ATF paperwork is a nightmare, along with finding a courier to drop the gun at an airport (as I can't hand carry it due to the route I will be taking home) and then you need a firearms dealer here in the U.S. and one in the UK (try calling one and asking them to do this - I have tried several)

so, back to the ones here - I handled a savage 111 today - what are the thoughts on that?

regards,
gixer

I have a Savage Model 11 "Long Range Hunter" in 308 and it's one of the most accurate rifles I own. Ugly, yes, but it really shoots well.~Muir.

PS: In general, I like Savage rifles quite a bit. I grew up near the plant.

Like Muir says , the Savages aren't the best looking rifles , but all the ones I've owned ( a lot ) were good shooters . I owned an older 111 in 300 WM that would shoot well under MOA with most factory ammo and less with handloads . The newer models with the accu-stock and accu trigger are very accurate rifles and definitely worth a look . That being said , I'm really partial to FN 98's too lol . Shop around , find a decent rifle that fits you and go with that .

Happy hunting AB

I notice a lot of the ones on gun broker are accutrigger but not accustock - is this a big deal? also the prices range from $485 to $750 - whats the deal with that?

Regards,

Gixer

I must also add, I went in and handles a Weatherby Vangaurd and Ruger american and both felt awful, the weatherby's safety is horrible (I changed it to a 3 position safety when I owned one) and the ruger's bolt fely like it had sand thrown into it....I know these are budget but the Savage felt much better all round.

The other thing to throw into the mix is there was a new Tikka T3 on the rack for 550 in 300winMag - I know nothing if this but is there a reason the 300wm's seem to be cheaper? i don't know what the pro's/cons are when comparing to 30/06 but i already have the loading gear for 30/06 so it's probably not worth changing but it was tempting....I typed it into google (30/06 vs 300wm) and the first thing to come up was a "managable recoil in a 30/06 vs a recoil akin to being kicked by a mule on a 300wm" ....lol made me chuckle!

Regards,

Gixer

The accustock works well , mostly because of the Tupperware stocks that are so common today . If you find a rifle in a wood stock you don't need to worry about it . To be honest most of the Savages I've owned , except one , didn't have accutriggers and shot great . I had a Stevens 200 , a basic model Savage 110 , in 30/06 that came with a plastic stock . It shot OK ( 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 ) with the original stock ,but turned into a sub MOA rifle when I put it into a Richards Microfit laminate stock . I gave it to my nieces husband for his first hunting rifle , he's very happy with it and even took a nice white-tail doe with it a few weeks ago . The big price difference in the Savages is mostly down to stock construction , steel type ( stainless vs chrome moly ) fluted barrels and triggers . They do have a large number of models to choose from . Hit some gunshops and shows and look for an older , walnut stocked 110 in 06 in decent shape , there are a lot of them around . If you want to spend a little more , take a look at a 114 Classic , they're a nice rig

As to the Tikka T 3's in 300 mag , there are always some for sale around here......... usually with a partial box of ammo thrown in for free lol . I like t3's , but they will loosen your fillings in 300 mag . A T3 in 06 would be a great all round rifle , they're a common sight here and are well thought of by everyone I know that owns one .

Hope this helps AB

The accustock works well , mostly because of the Tupperware stocks that are so common today . If you find a rifle in a wood stock you don't need to worry about it . To be honest most of the Savages I've owned , except one , didn't have accutriggers and shot great . I had a Stevens 200 , a basic model Savage 110 , in 30/06 that came with a plastic stock . It shot OK ( 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 ) with the original stock ,but turned into a sub MOA rifle when I put it into a Richards Microfit laminate stock . I gave it to my nieces husband for his first hunting rifle , he's very happy with it and even took a nice white-tail doe with it a few weeks ago . The big price difference in the Savages is mostly down to stock construction , steel type ( stainless vs chrome moly ) fluted barrels and triggers . They do have a large number of models to choose from . Hit some gunshops and shows and look for an older , walnut stocked 110 in 06 in decent shape , there are a lot of them around . If you want to spend a little more , take a look at a 114 Classic , they're a nice rig

As to the Tikka T 3's in 300 mag , there are always some for sale around here......... usually with a partial box of ammo thrown in for free lol . I like t3's , but they will loosen your fillings in 300 mag . A T3 in 06 would be a great all round rifle , they're a common sight here and are well thought of by everyone I know that owns one .

Hope this helps AB

thanks for the input - I have a T3 in 30/06 at home so I know they are great but wasn't familiar with the 300wm so thanks for that.

i seem to be leaning towards a savage so will look into the 114...

regards,
gixer

thanks for the input - I have a T3 in 30/06 at home so I know they are great but wasn't familiar with the 300wm so thanks for that.

i seem to be leaning towards a savage so will look into the 114...

regards,
gixer

The 114's are a nice rifle and for some reason just fit me . I have a feeling I'll end up with one lol .

AB

I have an old Savage 110E in 30-06. Plain birch stock. Bead blasted finish. It cost me <$200 2nd hand but will hold MOA and less with about any well constructed load. I set it aside for my son. ~Muir

Go to a gun show, lot's of cheap new guns there.
I have a mate in the US who picked up two new Marlin XL-7's for $300!!!!
Yes that's right two new guns for $300.

Back