Which cold weather boots.?

Boarboy

Hi.

looking for suggestions on some ankle length type boots for night sitting in extreme cold. Something that obviously keeps your feet warm, but not sweat!

thanks.

I plan to be stalking on Friday and thinking of getting the flip flops out again 21 degrees for cast!

Sorel Glacier Boots good down to minus 45, used in Canada for snow mobiles, used up high seats in the UK through the night by idiots like me.
The other bit of kit I can recommend are Lowe Alpine Turbine Convert Mitten Gloves.
Last but not least is a Ariston gas boiler and 6 radiators..............

I sit out all night, everynight over lambing time, wearing Dunlop Purofort Thermo wellies. Just one pair of thin socks, and feet always warm as toast.

Those wellies are all the rage in the Welsh hills but you rarely if ever see them anywhere else!

When we used to go on the hill for goat counting and gathering the lads in those had heaps more grip that anyone in boots, grip like tractor tyres!

Make sure your boots are not too small if you want them to be warm, tight boots are cold boots in my experience!

Those wellies are all the rage in the Welsh hills but you rarely if ever see them anywhere else!

When we used to go on the hill for goat counting and gathering the lads in those had heaps more grip that anyone in boots, grip like tractor tyres!

!

That's the ones! Like putting four-wheel-drive on your feet, and toasty warm too!
Bought a pair for the missus as well, and even she doesn't bleat on about cold feet any more.

A pair of Walenki Russian felt boots (check on the German fleaboy site) weigh bugger all, so carry in rucksack and change into them at your seat but not for walking in wet/damp conditions only powder dry snow like Siberia. Work for me.
Martin

Socks and circulation are what keep your feet warm the boots are just a barrier to heat loss?

Socks and circulation are what keep your feet warm the boots are just a barrier to heat loss?

Ish but I can tell you from 30 years as a diver neopreen shells make much much better insulators than any solid skin shell (tri-lam rubber etc). Its all about conductive heat transfer from the outer skin

Same undersuit, same base layer a neo outer skin will make for a much warmer dive

Only thing I can see would be better would be some water proof but breathable system

ATB

Whichever boots you chose, we would recommend that the most important aspect to keeping your feet warm, is keeping them dry, including the covers.

Cold Feet: Leather Boots
Water evaporation cools the surface, so even leather which is wet will have a cooling effect. If the leather is going to be wet, then ensure that your feet are not sweaty before settling done as the cooling will also chill the moisture in your socks. Top tip, pack a spare dry pair of socks in your backpack if this is likely.

Cold Feet: Wellingtons
Ideal for wet conditions as the water runs off, neoprene keeps your feet in a thermo casing, which helps prevent temperature movement from either in or out. So are the perfect allround solution.

Hope that helps, any questions, you can always call our store on 01525 211488 we are open 7 days and the team deal with hunters everyday.

Andrew

Back