Surrey police accept the blame

I don't know the circumstances that led to this incident but I'd bet that if the money, resources and staff that will go into the review had been available to their firearms licensing department in the first place, it wouldn't have happened! From what I've seen many forces are trying to run firearms licensing departments on a shoestring budget and with half the staff thay actually need, its not the poor sods at the bottom of the pile that should be hung out to dry, its the Chief Constable that should be held to account.

The implication is that had Surrey Police not returned his firearms, the victims would be alive today. This is very unlikely.

Yes I think generally that Firearms licensing departments aren't worth what we already pay.

I'm not sure how an Octogenarian would have otherwise disposed of his victims but where there is a will there is a way!

Sounds like this is going to be one of the discussions on radio 2 this lunchtime. get ready for some very ill informed people phoning in with anti shooting comments!

I don't know the circumstances that led to this incident but I'd bet that if the money, resources and staff that will go into the review had been available to their firearms licensing department in the first place, it wouldn't have happened! From what I've seen many forces are trying to run firearms licensing departments on a shoestring budget and with half the staff thay actually need, its not the poor sods at the bottom of the pile that should be hung out to dry, its the Chief Constable that should be held to account.

A chief constable with integrity would have resigned, but as he has not. The PCC should dismiss him. It does not get more serious than loss of life.

It is long past the time that FL is taken from chiefs of police and placed into a National Fireams Licensing Authority, with industry representation on the management board.

The issue I have with this is that they have taken the blame when they have actually done all they could of. An allegation of threats to kill was made against the suspect and so rightly his shotguns were taken. The allegation was then withdrawn leading to no offence and although they would have liked to have kept his guns there was no legal argument for keeping them so they were given back. Tragic but why accept blame on the behalf of the man who chose to murder his wife and daughter. Everyone wants to blame someone and it's usually the police (or teachers) who have to take it when no one else will just admit they were at fault, or in this case the male who committed this terrible crime.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the precept that each individual is accountable for his actions" Ronald Reagan.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the precept that each individual is accountable for his actions" Ronald Reagan.
Oh but so true.
Heresy of course in modern political speak though.
Beware the 'Thought Police' will be after you ! Go and re-read Orwell's 1984 then check the mirror on your wall as penance.
Best regards.

The issue I have with this is that they have taken the blame when they have actually done all they could of. An allegation of threats to kill was made against the suspect and so rightly his shotguns were taken. The allegation was then withdrawn leading to no offence and although they would have liked to have kept his guns there was no legal argument for keeping them so they were given back. Tragic but why accept blame on the behalf of the man who chose to murder his wife and daughter. Everyone wants to blame someone and it's usually the police (or teachers) who have to take it when no one else will just admit they were at fault, or in this case the male who committed this terrible crime.

I agree, they did all that they could within the confines of the current legislation and their admission of guilt could be used to blame the existing firearms legislation as being inadequate and therefore use this as an opportunity to introduce more punitive control

Back