Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: variation in variation times across forces: collecting data

variation in variation times across forces: collecting data

Those of us who have to deal with the Police Scotland firearms section in Edinburgh will know that they have recently experienced a large reduction in staff numbers, and the processing of even very simple 1-for-1 variations has become agonisingly slow and error prone.

It has been hinted that a degree of pressure further up the chain might help alleviate this, so I am thinking of writing a formal complaint. To do this, I would like to be able to present a comparison with variation times at other forces, both in Scotland and beyond.

I would be very grateful if anyone who has had a variation processed in the last year could let me know the following:

1. Force.
    2. What the variation was (1-for-1 or change in allowance).
    3. Time taken.

Many thanks.

Sussex Police, New Caliber, 7 days including postage, two weeks ago,

Surrey one for one. Posted to them Monday and returned in post on Saturday (same week!)

2 days northumberland 1 for 1

Established Poster
    Nr. Lyneham, Wiltshire

Change ticket from 'closed' to 'open'
    Emailed Friday evening with request, reply received first thing Monday morning. Delivered by hand Monday afternoon, received in post Thursday morning same week.

1-4-1 from .22 to 6.5
    Spoke to them on phone Tuesday morning, appointment made for 10am next day, Out of the door with variation 15 mins later.

Variation to acquire 22-250 - ten days.

FAC sent in today for another addition.

Past service has been excellent.

Last edited by NOTSHARP; 31-10-2014 at 08:08.

new calibre 308,posted monday ,back the following tuesday .avon and somerset.

As well as a drastic reduction in staff since the move to Police Scotland, I believe that Legacy Lothian and Borders force have just gone live with a new computer firearm licensing system( not new to some of the other legacy Scottish forces) which is compounding the delays. I imagine that variations will be taking a bit of a back seat over renewals just now. Just wait till air gun licensing is added to that workload with no more staff!!

West Yorkshire variation for new calibre. 5-6 weeks. Not overly fussed to be honest as I got what I asked for and that's all that mattered.
    Last edited by Psjunkie; 30-10-2014 at 23:23.

Lothian & Borders. Handed in to Fettes to have target shooting added; returned in under 2 weeks (about 5 weeks ago).