An End to Police Cautions

Mr. Gain

Is this good or bad news for shooters?

Police cautions 'to be scrapped' in England and Wales

If the emphasis is in future to be placed on restitution for victims, and policing and judicial protocols changed accordingly, what will happen regarding police cautions for the "victimless crimes" represented by minor infringements of complex legal requirements, such as those faced by shooters?

Will these be treated as more serious crimes in future?

Possibly a good thing,for shooters anyway.
I'm amazed at how many shooters accept these cautions unaware that it will probably put and end to their shooting.
If the option of a caution is no longer available then the police will have to consider whether the "infringement" is worthy of a charge and all that follows; or not.

From reading the article it sounds very similar to the "new" spot checks. Nothing has really changed as all the options suggested are already currently used where suitable. Looks more like election time is approaching so let's look busy and we're all about the victims.

All sounds a bit summary to me. If you have enough evidence to charge, then crack on. Otherwise, I'm off mate.

1. They already have conditional cautions where restitution (or an apology, or perhaps cleaning up graffiti or whatever is appropriate) is done, following consultation with the victim.

2. Is anybody really saying that the police, if they thought there was a problem with someone who held a firearms/shotgun certificate before the latest announcements wouldn't make an unannounced visit?

As nun-hunter says, it's just politicians looking for headlines without having to do anything or spend money. Situation normal.

From reading the article it sounds very similar to the "new" spot checks. Nothing has really changed as all the options suggested are already currently used where suitable. Looks more like election time is approaching so let's look busy and we're all about the victims.

Agreed. .
The usual 're hash' little has changed.

Those who commit more serious offences would face court if they fail to comply with conditions set out by police.

"Under the new system we are introducing, offenders will face prosecution if they fail to comply with the conditions set by the police, so that no one is allowed to get away with the soft option."

To me it sounds more like the police are being allowed to act as 'street judges'!

To me it sounds more like the police are being allowed to act as 'street judges'!

Only if you let them, you think your not guilty you just refuse to whatever they wish to fine you.
It's then up to them if they wish to try for a conviction.

Neil. :)

Only if you let them, you think your not guilty you just refuse to whatever they wish to fine you.
It's then up to them if they wish to try for a conviction.

Neil. :)

thats always been the case. You could only have a caution or Community Resolution if you admit guilt. The way it's been rehashed now is for benefit of politicians to say Cautions aren't being given out for serious offences. This was only the case when there wasn't enough evidence To satisfy the CPS but the offender still admitted guilt. Domestic Violence is the number one place this is used, where one party admits assaulting the other but the other won't support a prosecution. Enough of these Cautions builds a picture to allow a victimless prosecution in future.

my advice is, if you're innocent or think you'll defini get away with it then don't accept it.

thats what i thought.

"ere sonny jim, pick up that litter i saw you drop and while you are at it give my squad car a hoover."

Well that's what politicians want, the suspect to decide on their punishment. Either pick up the litter or get a fine. Seems reasonable to me, let's them decide their fate.

Well that's what politicians want, the suspect to decide on their punishment. Either pick up the litter or get a fine. Seems reasonable to me, let's them decide their fate.

Unless, of course, you didn't drop the litter in the first place...

Back