Browning or beretta

chris .222

As the title says
I'm looking at getting a shogun I'm looking at a browning ultra xs or a beretta 686 evo
what is people's opinion on either of these
it will be a 12g and for some clays , pigeon shooting and pheasants
thank you

I use a 32" ultra xs and love it , I think you will be well served by either to be honest , just depends wether your a Beretta or browning man ?

Iv'e had both Browning & Beretta and can honestly say I could not fault either brand, which ever you choose you won't be disappointed.

Its all to personal choice.I prefer the heavier browning ,as with quality there is nothing in the mid price range guns. I shoot a beautiful B125 but I have also had a 325 and a 525 and loved them all.

I had a Browning Ultra XS 30" and now have a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 3 28". Down to personal preference and which one fits you better. The Browning is a heavier gun and feels much bigger in the hand. The Beretta seems neater and faster. The Beretta has chromed barrels, Browning doesn't.
For clays I would pick the Browning and for game I would pick the Beretta but as I said its personal choice.
Willie

The Beretta has chromed barrels, Browning doesn't.
For clays I would pick the Browning and for game I would pick the Beretta but as I said its personal choice.
Willie

I think the Brownings have had chromed barrels since half way through the B325 production ?

Personally, I found the off the shelf Beretta didn't fit me at all, whilst the Browning/Mirokou was much better.

You may be luckier, but I'd see what fits you best, and go with that.

had browning B2g's and MK70 GR 5 now use Beretta as they seam to attract less rust around the face/ejectors but i had that horrid varnish removed and hand oiled makes em better imop

As far as quality goes, I don't think there's anything to worry about from either make. They're the best sellers for a reason.

But you do get either Beretta or Browning people. It's mostly down to which type fits you best. In general terms, as has been said, a Browning tends to be a bit heavier and for that reason is better on the clays. The Beretta is better on the pheasants because it's a bit lighter. Easier to whip into action at short notice and not as tiring to carry around all day. But we're talking little differences here really.

You also have to decide what looks best for you. I know that's perhaps seen by some as not as important, but as it's a buy to last for a good proportion, if not all of your shooting life, you're going to have to be happy looking at it a lot. Hence the differing grades of guns, often with exactly the same internals.

As has been said, before deciding, the least you need to do is handle each model on your shortlist and see how it mounts and swings and indeed if it fits you. Ideally you need to be able to narrow it down to perhaps a couple of guns and then see if you can have a go with them. Either see if there's any at your nearest clay ground to hire, perhaps blag a go with a friend who has one or if you're lucky, the gun shop you frequent may have somewhere to try them out.

Both great guns but as others have said the shape fit and weight are fundamentally different. I cannot abide using a beretta but a browning is fantastic for me. I am 6 4 and have no issue with extra weight and the fact the browning is thicker set. Others find the exact opposite with the slimmer built beretta. When mounting them in the shop try 28 and 30 inch barrels as well and see how that effects balance for you.

If possible try them both on the clays because the biggest difference in how they handle is felt through the kick, and you won't know how that works for you until you use it.
i find a beretta like a mule and a browning like a big hug from an old mate - but that's because the design suits me and may not be the same for you.

And whilst you are looking don't discount B Rizzini, currently making really nice shooters badged as William Powell, Perseus bang in the beretta browning price range with a really nice design and typically much prettier wood. I have one and really like it. Falls in between the two in terms of shape size and weight.

I am lucky enough to own both of these fantastic machines and i couldn't get a fag paper between them. I like the strength via simplicity of the Brownings but the lightness and grace of the Berettas are a joy to put in use. For heavy use i would say Browning all the time but for carrying and walked up days the lighter Berettas are the choice....

Well it depends on your tastes really.

2 types of people in the main, those that like Brownings and those with good taste.

You won't go wrong with either. I get on better with Browning, but my best mate is better with a Beretta. I think it's whichever fits you better and which one just 'feels right'. Good luck and straight shooting.

The Brownings feel better made to me over the 686 the 682, 692, DT10 and DT 10 are quality though. Personally I would go for a Miroku for the money. made exactly same as browning, slightly different finishing but same quality.

Dave

Both are great guns

I've never owned a browning but I do like the ultra xs with adjustable comb if I fancied doing clays
But on the other hand a miroku mk38 takes some beating for clays

I've used my freinds beretta maybe a siver pigeon on pigeons and it felt just right I would buy one of these if one came up at a good price this same freind also had a browning for a couple of years and changed to the berretta and never looked back

I've had numerous beretta S/A's and they just work perfectly

Back