Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Cape Buffalo!

My first Cape Buffalo!

We left the lodge in the early hours for the drive to the concession in order to arrive at daylight.During the drive to the concession Patrick (The Outfitter) enthralled me with tales of past hunts and how a local experienced Professional Hunter had recently been killed by a Cape Buffalo! Very reassuring!!
    To say I was nervous would be something of an understatement!
    We arrived at the concession, which is adjacent to the Kruger National Park, and met up with two P.H. & a tracker for the hunt.
    Having drunk a cup of coffee with these guys I told them that if the buffalo was poorly shot or started to charge to feel free to shoot and not wait for me!
    They reassured me that they would be right behind me and if it did charge to stand my ground! There was quite a bit of firepower which did give me some reassurance. I had my double .375H&H, One PH had a .416 & two had .458 magnums loaded with solids.
    They then told me that cows were more dangerous than bulls which I found less reassuring!
    We climbed up into the “Buckie” (Open top 4X4) and headed out looking for sign.
    As we drove along they would be spotting sign and turning this way and that as we travelled on & on through the bush.
    Suddenly they stopped.
    There! look two cows!
    I looked but but did not see! I picked up my binoculars and scanned the bush - nothing then all of a sudden there they were standing looking at us.
    That is when you realise what is meant by Dangerous Game! These things are huge and look at you as if you owe them money!
    We turned off the road to approach them from down wind and started to stalk through the bush.
    I was following the PH who kept us moving through and pointing to the buffalo which were invisible to me. A quick glance through the binoculars revealed a glimpse of horn or a swish of a tail!.
    The bush does’t seem so thick but these things just disappear from sight amongst it!
    We stalked close but the wind shifted and they were away!
    We followed more spoor through the bush for quite a way the P.H. informing me that it must have been the rear of the herd. They decided that we had little chance of catching them and made our way back to the buckie for a well deserved drink!
    Even early in the morning my shirt was soaked by perspiration!.
    We set off again in the 4X4 and saw all sorts of game including some large Wildebeest but no buffalo.
    Then we turned around a bend and a huge herd was crossing the road! My heart rate sky rocketed! these were all bulls, massive, angry looking and around 6o metres away!.
    Then amongst them they spotted a cow!.
    We got down and moved quietly into the bush in order to spot the cow and hopefully take the shot. I cannot put into words what I was feeling I was terrified! You see these things on the TV or even in a zoo & they look like big cattle.
    Stand 50 metres away from an animal weighing a tonne that sees you as a threat and you have a whole new perspective!.
    There must have been around 50 animals and the PH was pointing out the cow that I was to shoot. He set up the sticks and said take the one on the left! I confirmed the animal sighted up along the front leg, half ay up the body and pulled the trigger.
    the roar of the .375 shattered the silence and the cow just twitched and staggered I couldn’t fire the second barrel as the bulls had moved around and blocked the shot! the PH started shouting as we moved around and closer!!
    The bulls moved a few metres away giving me a clear shot of the cow that was standing swaying.
    I gave her both barrels and she collapsed but was still alive! I reloaded twice giving both barrels each time to ensure that she posed no threat as she gave her last death bellow
    We made our way up to the beast and when everyone started to shake my hand I realised two things - I had shot my first Cape Buffalo and my hands were shaking like leaves!
    That was one of the most exciting episodes in my life to date and was both terrifying and exhilarating.
    I had been warned that it was addictive and now I can see why!.
    If you have ever had the slightest hint of a wish to hunt Big Game, wish no more. Sell the car,do whatever it takes but get down here and do it!
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

Pictures man, pictures!!!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

.....well done's on my bucket list.....
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

well done i can only imagine how exciting hunting a buff is im hoping do plains game next year or year after just love the whole idea of hunting in africa

Hunting Outfitter: Bushwack Safaris
    PH: Grand Botha / Jaques Winterbach / Patrick Reynecke
    Rifle: .375 side by side DG/ .308 bolt PG/ 416 bolt / 458 bolt
    Area: Hoedspruit / Phalaborwa
    Farm: 3700 acres thick Jesse
    Time: 22nd to 31st October 2014
    Taxidermist: Safari Taxidermy
    Trophies: Skull mounts and skins

David, i don't wanna take the lime light away from you, but cannot help myself!

This was one safari i wouldn't forget...excellent PH's...excellent host's at the lodge...excellent client!!...excellent time in the bush...

Blue Wildebeest:

Last edited by Bushwack; 04-11-2014 at 09:31.
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099

Congratulations on your first Buff, I hope you'll take many more. Jolly good writeup too. Well done, that man!.

It must be a good feeling to hunt with a rifle of the traditional type with such a classic cartridge.Wonderful!.
    Wish I could afford a double, but at today's prices, it's the cost of a decent used car.

For anyone contemplating such a trip, if you can scrape together the necessary dosh, go to Africa and hunt Buff, it's the best.
    If you are thinking of this, or indeed any other African safari, I recommend this website:
    Shakari Connection | The Home Of African Hunting Safari Information
    Lots of info, good reading and hours of entertainment.

What I want to know is what it's like gralloching something this size, and what it tastes like!

jealous is not a word i use often

great write up.

Nice write up what cal pro hunter did you use for the plains game ?
    Cheers Norma

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    What I want to know is what it's like gralloching something this size, and what it tastes like!
    You're a strange man wanting to try eating the gralloch