Sleeper train and taking a rifle

Essexsussex

Does anyone know if there are any rules imposed by Caledonian sleeper on taking firearms. It hadn't occurred to me there would be any issues, just stick it under your bunk and take bolt with, make sure cabin is locked, or worst case stay in cabin. Will be sharing with my buddy not a stranger.

Has anyone had any issues? I know the staff can be funny about the strangest things, and sublimely helpful about others.

thanks

ES

Public transport and firearms, my field of expertise... They're quite used to it on that particular service as a lot of people travel to the Highlands for fieldsports. Here's the relevant extract from the conditions of carriage:

Carriage of firearms
Customers who intend to carry firearms/ammunition should advise ScotRail Telesales at time of booking. Customers will be required to provide written authority letter and firearms certificate. Customers should have single occupancy of a cabin or be sharing with a person known to them.

It's on page 6 of this document: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/sleeperguide2013web.pdf

Anyone who has a friend :) who has just "winged it" want to report ?

Well all ScotRail are actually saying is that you need to comply with the conditions on your FAC and take "reasonable precautions" by preventing access by unauthorised persons, supplying your FAC when asked for it.

I haven't "winged it" on this service but have on numerous others. Some companies theoretically ask you for 24 hours notice, but in practice you can't do that because no-one there is aware of this, so they just default to refusal. Really, they don't want to have to deal with this. So all I do is exercise discretion by not obviously carrying a gun, carrying a component (forend, bolt, etc) in a separate bag and not letting it out of my sight. Oh, and not wearing camouflage or taking the train with blood smeared on my trousers. Which all constitutes "reasonable precaution". I've never had any trouble or caused any.

Taking the sleeper train is much easier than flying, that's for sure.
Do it often enough and the staff get to know you and barely comment - which all aids the low-key "reasonable precaution" approach as outlined by PM.
I've found that by giving them notice, myself and others travelling with firearms ended up being allocated cabins in the carriage hitched to the buffet carriage, meant we were better able to keep an eye on our cabins at all times.
As PM said, Scotrail are well used to people travelling with firearms and the staff don't mind a bit - unlike most airlines...........

Big question - do you actually sleep on the sleeper, and if travelling on your own are you likely to end up sharing with some hairy arsed ........ Who belches from both ends all night long.

Big question - do you actually sleep on the sleeper, and if travelling on your own are you likely to end up sharing with some hairy arsed ........ Who belches from both ends all night long.

I've travelled on the Caledonian Sleeper and slept fine, if not long enough because I was only going to Glasgow. Also on French sleeper trains which were more crowded but it rocks you to sleep. I had no real trouble sleeping from Budapest to Bucharest, or Bucharest to Istanbul, but Cologne to Vienna on the German sleeper was by miles the best. And now they're axing most of those, which is awful. But they're not great for very tall people. I find they rock you to sleep.

As for sharing, you can choose to be alone, but also if it's not packed, they try to give people separate compartments. You take your chances. I've never had any problems.

NB: somewhere between Cairo and Aswan in about 1991, my friend Enrique vomited on me from the top berth. This was a low-point of travelling on sleeper trains, but not really the fault of the Egyptian train operators. It reflected pretty badly on the catering industry though.

Last edited:
On the London-Inverness sleeper you can sleep ok, especially after a visit to the buffet carriage, well - that works for me anyhow.
You can gamble re sharing if you want or pay extra for 1st where you're guaranteed a private berth.

I've never really slept properly on the sleeper despite being fairly practised at it. The sleeper bus to Glasgow believe it or not is a better kip!

I called them up, firearms no prob as long as you are not sharing with a stranger - so either travel 1st or go with a pal. They just needed to know what guns and ammo we will take and a copy of fac faxed (does anyone know what a fax is?!?!) and they will send us a consent letter.

very helpful about it all even if they couldn't spell Husqvarna (heathens).

Scotrail are well used to people travelling with firearms and the staff don't mind a bit - unlike most airlines...........

I flew to the US last year with my rifle, as it happens. Edinburgh to Manchester with Flybe was an absolute breeze. Likewise, Manchester to Atlanta and back on Delta was an absolute piece of cake, with the only hold-ups being the expected and understandable inspection of the rifle by the TSA prior to handing it back to me on both trips. Manchester to Edinburgh though? Nightmare. Staff on the Flybe desk hadn't got a clue (despite having their published procedures & being previously notified I was travelling with a firearm) & immediately called for the airport police who then held me up for over 40 minutes & almost had me miss my connecting flight back to Edinburgh...........

Going back to the OPs question though, Scotrails published directions prohibit the carriage of firearms on non-sleeper services as part of their 'special conditions', unless things have changed. I was originally going to travel from Dundee to Edinburgh via rail, but then had to change my plans as a result

Back