Book Recommendation: My Yester Years in Glen Affaric

JockStalk

There is an earlier thread on this one.

Just finished reading this - a superb account of glen affric since the 30's written by Duncan MacLennan who worked on the estate for 47 years.

A few copies are back in stock at Cannich Stores at 15 squid a copy plus postage - no link with Cannich Stores but I don't know anywhere else that stocks this book.

Details below - Brad or Nicole - really helpful. 01456415201 or www.cannichstores.co.uk

I worked for Duncan for a couple of weeks work experience (the man has patience) in the mid 80's and this brought memories flooding back of a great guy and an amazing location.

As he says himself, a book for the fireside and a dram.

An EXCELLENT book...............

I mentioned it on the forum a year or so ago and recommend any stalker to read it. It has a fitting place in my study.

Spent many memorable visits to Affric - not been there for ten years now, I hope it hasn't changed,,,,,
Redmist, I have been stalking to the south of Glen Affric for over twenty years, you wouldn't believe it if you went there now. I ghillie /stalk during the rut, it's barren next door as far as the deer are concerned. That picture of me gas Affric in the background.

Vh

There is an earlier thread on this one.

Just finished reading this - a superb account of glen affric since the 30's written by Duncan MacLennan who worked on the estate for 47 years.

A few copies are back in stock at Cannich Stores at 15 squid a copy plus postage - no link with Cannich Stores but I don't know anywhere else that stocks this book.

Details below - Brad or Nicole - really helpful. 01456415201 or www.cannichstores.co.uk

I worked for Duncan for a couple of weeks work experience (the man has patience) in the mid 80's and this brought memories flooding back of a great guy and an amazing location.

As he says himself, a book for the fireside and a dram.

Hi JockStalk,

Watched Weirs Way couple weeks back, brought back memories, I was out with the late Billy MacLennan in the early 90's for a few days at the hinds.

Roe224 - I watched the same which I thoroughly enjoyed and it got me doing some digging. That then put me onto Donsider's thread on here!

Donsider - thanks for your original posting on this which I made reference to in mine. I had no idea that Duncan had written his memoirs and was happy to read your thread. A brief challenge to find a copy, and with the help of Cannich stores and a copy was heading my way.

The glen has changed dramatically, even over my relatively short experience and I don't think its for the better. The Wotherspoons did a great job of keeping the place alive, but I guess the only constant is change.

But what a great read!

I have just read your post,I have also read the book.sadly Duncan has now passed on ,there was an obituary in the press and journal not so long ago,he had recently celebrated his 100 th birthday.

allan

I love both Glen Affric and Glen Strathfarrar and holiday there twice a year.
I read the book a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Incidentally whilst at the pheasant beating last year I got talking to an old boy who turned out to be a close friend of the MacLennan family. . . He told some great stories.

I would have loved to have seen Affric back in the day.

Hi Jockstalk,

I am pleased to learn that you got a copy of the book. I am just back from Glenquoich stalking hinds for two days, sadly no luck. I filmed in Glen Afferic when I was with STV with Tom Weir in the 1970s and met with him when we filming Finlay McRae. The last time I was in the Glen was when I produced a series of Country Matters for Grampian TV some years later and I was surprised to see the changes in the glen.

My return to Len Garry on the way to Glenquoich presented many changes to me from when I stalked Garrygualch for 19 years having not been in the glen for 10 years.
You are right when you say the only constant is change, but thank god we have people like Duncan who can record their vivid memories of highland stalkers life.

Red deer stalking over for this year now a start at the does......................

Contacted Cannich Stores about getting hold of a copy, but apparently they have sold out :(.

If anyone happens to have a spare copy knocking around that they would be willing to sell, please let me know.

Contacted Cannich Stores about getting hold of a copy, but apparently they have sold out :(.

If anyone happens to have a spare copy knocking around that they would be willing to sell, please let me know.

Dom, i've got a copy that you are welcome to borrow for a read. Send me your address and I'll bung it in the post, its only a small book so its no big deal to post backwards and forwards. Glyn.

My Yester Years In Glen Affaric
by Duncan MacLennan
The memoirs of local man Duncan MacLennan, Head Stalker in Glen Affric from 1942 till 1989. Now in his 90's Duncan tells us about his life in Glen Affric where he was born, brought up and worked until he finally retired at the age of 75! It is a must buy for those with connections to the area. It will also make great souvenir for visitors to take home.
Copies should be available locally but should you require any further info contact Duncan MacLennan Jnr. at dmacle5756@aol.com.

My Yester Years In Glen Affaric
by Duncan MacLennan
The memoirs of local man Duncan MacLennan, Head Stalker in Glen Affric from 1942 till 1989. Now in his 90's Duncan tells us about his life in Glen Affric where he was born, brought up and worked until he finally retired at the age of 75! It is a must buy for those with connections to the area. It will also make great souvenir for visitors to take home.
Copies should be available locally but should you require any further info contact Duncan MacLennan Jnr. at dmacle5756@aol.com.

I did see that, but was told that the book was sold out and that there were no plans for another print run.

I also wasn't sure if Duncan MacLennan and Duncan MacLennan Jnr might have been one and the same. Having read that Duncan MacLennan has died I didn't want to email and cause any possible upset.

AbeBooks has a copy, first edition & signed for £43.60 delivered

My Yester Years in Glen Affaric - AbeBooks

Cheers
Chris

I have bought quite a lot of collectable deer books over the years and I would be very wary of buying through abebooks. They simply list books for independent sellers then, presumably, make a percentage on top. This would be fair enough if the service was any good; like most things, its fine until there's a problem. The best way to use abebooks is as a search engine then do a little detective work and contact the seller directly. I hate to be negative on the interweb but abebooks have let me down once too often.

Spent many memorable visits to Affric - not been there for ten years now, I hope it hasn't changed,,,,,

If I can get hold of a copy Redmist I'll lend it to you. I had some great times on Affric with the Watson family before they had to sell. The lodge, hill and loch are stunning but in the summer we'd have to run from the car to the lodge to avoid getting devoured by hoards of midges and mozzies so I preferred the days on the hinds. Even in the winter we actually had a better day when the weather was crappy as it kept the 'other hoards'' (walkers) numbers down (a bit!)

If I can get hold of a copy Redmist I'll lend it to you. I had some great times on Affric with the Watson family before they had to sell. The lodge, hill and loch are stunning but in the summer we'd have to run from the car to the lodge to avoid getting devoured by hoards of midges and mozzies so I preferred the days on the hinds. Even in the winter we actually had a better day when the weather was crappy as it kept the 'other hoards'' (walkers) numbers down (a bit!)

Nick, willie_gunn has my copy, if you want to have him send it to you when he's read it (and then on to Redmist) that's fine by me. It's a great little book and should be passed around to read not sit on a shelf. Glyn

Nick, willie_gunn has my copy, if you want to have him send it to you when he's read it (and then on to Redmist) that's fine by me. It's a great little book and should be passed around to read not sit on a shelf. Glyn

I'll be reading it when i'm in Croatia, so another week and I can send it on to whomever would like to read it next. Nick, PM me your address and I'll get it in the post to you when I'm done.

Back