Thread: Nice Muntjac double and a decent buck too!

Nice Muntjac double and a decent buck too!

Once again I ventured out into the small fields next to work at about 3pm today as it turned into a glorious afternoon, and the slight North wind is perfect for this area as there is only one ideal way to stalk it from the South.

I very slowly skirted around the outside and headed for a little area of bushes with a view to nestling in and trying the buttolo for a bit. It is really difficult stalking as the ground is covered in dead thistles so I have to pick my way through carefully without crunching them. I got to the chosen spot which is about 120 yards from a dry ditch crossing between two fields which is lined with hawthorn and sloe bushes. I've seen plenty of muntjac in this area and last week also bumped 3 roe as I was mooching around in my lunch break, which is the 1st time I've seen them here.

After settling onto the quad sticks I gave a series of about 12 peeps and waited. Around 15 mins had passed when a woodpecker suddenly took flight squawking away and seeing as I hadn't moved I thought something must be about. Sure enough right where it lifted from out came a Munty buck who was feeding on the bushes on the ditch edge, but was obscured by some longer grass and thistles. I was able to watch him for a good while reaching up, munching on the sloe leaves and seeing as he had no idea I was there, I was in no rush to take a shot. I tried the call again just to see what reaction I would get and it must have be coincidence that he appeared, because he took no notice whatsoever!! I could see that he was a nice buck though and just as I was contemplating moving into a better position, he mooched back into the ditch out of sight!

I had plenty of light left so decided to wait it out and sure enough about 10mins later he re-appeared, this time followed by 2 does further along the ditch but in a worse position than before with more cover and no backstop. I decided to get into a better position and crouched as low as possible, but still being able to pick my way through the thistles. By the time I had got closer the buck & smaller doe had helped me out and came about 15 yards in from the ditch, but the larger (and I think pregnant) doe had moved further on and disappeared.

I got set on the sticks again and the buck had moved into a good position for me to take a shot and he dropped to the .308 on the spot. The shot made the doe jump and bob into cover, but she didn't scarper and so I thought I'd give it a few minutes to see if she would come out. Sure enough, she came out a bit further on and seemed to be looking for the buck. I re-adjusted on the sticks and took the second shot, but I was a bit rushed, never steadied myself properly and as you can see from the photo the shot was a bit low. She stumbled forward then turned and hobbled forward a few steps before dropping. I wasn't convinced that she was dead so I waited about 10 mins, constantly glassing where she dropped and cursing the thistles as I couldn't see her down! I carefully approached and actually thought I may have had to carry out my 1st follow up shot, but my fears were put to rest as I could see where she lay and she wasn't getting up again.

So all in all a very enjoyable, fairly short stalk with 2 munties in the chiller, one of which is to be traded for our xmas turkey crown! I also think the buck may be worth a measure as although not the longest, the antlers are a good size and thickness so he may turn out to be my 1st medal,

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Well done stratts. A nice afternoon AT WORK! Buck looks like a good heavy body. I'd keep the munty for christmas and sod the turkey. Just think it was only a few months back I was reading about your first deer. Now your'e knocking them over like 9 pins. Glad things are going well.

Well done stratts . 2 good beasts there. Hopefully the buck makes a medal
    The mounts are looking good
    Atb .......scott

Bet your chuffed with them! I must get out after some.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Well done stratts . 2 good beasts there. Hopefully the buck makes a medal
    The mounts are looking good
    Atb .......scott
    Cheers mate I have the same mounts on both the ZKK's now and those clips you sent are proper handy too!!

Hearty congrats Stratts, two cracking animals there. You're certainly knocking up the experience. Very best wishes that the buck comes good for your first medal.

Congratulations on the munties and as always an excellent write up so that we can all share the experience. regards SBM

Thanks guys I did some measurements tnite and IF I've done it right and having erred on the side of caution I made it 61.3 points. But even if I've got it wrong by a little bit, it's pretty certain to be a medal of some sort!!

Well done stratts and cracking buck!

My Hunting Blog: click here