Weatherby .308

Afro hunter

I have my mind set to buy this weatherby rifle and I have no idea if it is a good tool for stalking please could some one who has a good profound knowledge of this make give me some feedback?:?:

Make sure you take the action out of the stock, some older Weatherby rifles has dies cast trigger units - the castings were so poor that over time (30 yrs) it becomes very fragile and a replacement unit is needed.

Ive replaced three triggers that have suffered the same problem..all I have to say on old and well used examples.

Lovely rifles though,

hi mate, not sure if your looking at a new rifle or not, i was keen on the weatherby until i felt one, and compared the price to a tikka.
i now have a tikka t3 in my safe for a bit more money. both new rifles tho.
wes.

Hi Sikadog sorry can not put the picture because it will be infringing the dealers rights if you know what am saying. But it is a weatheby Vanguard synthetic 24" uncut barrel but will be looking at having it screw cut too.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in .308. It's a Howa 1500 action & barrel with a nice Monte Carlo wood stock. Nice rifle; excellent value for the coin.

I think the Tikka T3 is a pretty good comparison. The Weatherby has a more classic look and feel, but is a hair down-market from the Tikka.

If it's a Weatherby MkV you're looking at, then a Sako is probably a better comparison. Again, the Weatherby has a bit more of a classic look and feel. They're both a decent step up in quality over the Vanguard/Tikka, with the Weatherby this time being a hair up-market from the Sako.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Last edited:
Mine was already screw-cut, but for an uncut I'd be tempted to shorten it to 22" or so when having it cut. The .308 doesn't really get all that much velocity out of the last couple of inches.

Cheers,
Jeff.

As far as I know the Weatherby Vanguard and Howa are the same action in different frocks. No nonsense and cheap whichever you go for, unlike the original Weatherby Mark V I've always fancied which is the only one which will fit me.

It sounds like the OP is buying new, so could also consider the option of a Howa all-in package deal of rifle/'scope/mounts/moderator which most dealers have available ...... around the £800 mark I'm told. A friend is going for a black/blued synthetic Howa in .22-250 to match his Howa stainless .223 when the variation from Lincs turns up eventually.

HOGUE - HOWA RIFLES

The Weatherby Vanguard is being replaced by a much more attractive model Vanguard 2 (at least I think it is):lol:

Vanguard Series 2 | Weatherby.com

Presumably a Howa look alike will emerge soon?

The Series 2 came out in 2011 (or there-abouts). That being said, there might still be some unsold Series 1s on this side of the pond. (I bought mine this spring and it's a transitional model with a Series 2 action and a Series 1 trigger.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

I have a Weatherby MK V long action rebarreled 6.5-284 and the trigger I could die for, and just purchased a Howa 1500 in 30.06 and the trigger on that is nice The MK V is a Japanies made rifle so probably made in the same factory.

Thanks to All
I didn't secure the Weatherby rifle some lucky chap snatched it right out of my talons. Nevertheless a Howa 1500 caught my eyes on GT and I have secured this one. Went to see it and we about to exchange contracts.
Thanks for all your input.

Howa has completely changed their trigger group for 2014. Our trading post has in a few and the triggers are superb, right off the shelf. I almost bought (another) 308 just because of the trigger.~Muir

Howa has completely changed their trigger group for 2014. Our trading post has in a few and the triggers are superb, right off the shelf. I almost bought (another) 308 just because of the trigger.~Muir
I did :cool:

although it was the 20" varmint barrel I was after, so that I can let my sporter barrelled 1500 retire from the range into stalking use only. ;)

I did :cool:

although it was the 20" varmint barrel I was after, so that I can let my sporter barrelled 1500 retire from the range into stalking use only. ;)

That's the one I was pining for. It handled like a dream and the trigger was sweet. How does it shoot?~Muir

That's the one I was pining for. It handled like a dream and the trigger was sweet. How does it shoot?~Muir
so far so good! Zeroed it at 100 and shot out to 600 just fine, the trigger is pretty good by my standards (I'm not fond of hair triggers) taking it out to 900 yrds at the weekend, so I may have to invest in a 20 MOA rail .

I have a Weatherby MK V long action rebarreled 6.5-284 and the trigger I could die for, and just purchased a Howa 1500 in 30.06 and the trigger on that is nice The MK V is a Japanies made rifle so probably made in the same factory.

MK Vs were only made by Howa from 1970 untill 1994 when production was moved to the USA, Weatherby being dissatisfied with the quaility.
Up untill 1970 all MK V actions and some complete rifles were made by J.P. Sauer and sohn Germany, the move to Howa due to ever increasing costs.

Ian.

Back