Air travel with firearms

Tackleberry270

Those of you that travel by air, does your bolt travel with your rifle? Where does the ammo go? What is mandatory and what is preferential?

You need to check how destination airport handle ammo. A lot don't want it in your checked bag as it's treated the same as your rifle and kept well away from the baggage carousel.

Stan

Travelled extensively with firearms in Europe and USA;

Rifle and bolt, unassembled but locked and secure in a solid case (Aluminium, ABS, plastic etc)

Ammunition separate in lockable box ammo not to weigh more than 5kg (I think)

Do not attempt to carry bolt on the plane in hand luggage.

Have FAC with you and Euro FAC (if applicable and visitors permit (if US)

I have also travelled extensively with firearms.

I never keep the bolt with the rifle - I lock it in a locked cash box with the ammunition. If you keep it with the rifle you are failing to comply with the terms of your FAC - requiring the firearm to be disabled where possible when not in use.

Max ammunition is 60 rounds per weapon to a maximum of 5kg.

I have also travelled extensively with firearms.

I never keep the bolt with the rifle - I lock it in a locked cash box with the ammunition. If you keep it with the rifle you are failing to comply with the terms of your FAC - requiring the firearm to be disabled where possible when not in use.

Max ammunition is 60 rounds per weapon to a maximum of 5kg.

Where does it say your firearm has to be disabled when not in use it is certainly not a condition on my FAC I have never taken my bolt out when stored

I'm ready for tomorrow flight from Heathrow.
Rifle and bolt in ABS secure case, ammo 42 rounds, in a metal cash box, with my pyjamas wrapped round it, in my hold luggage.
The only time I had any trouble was when travelling with BA, when they singled me out from the other eleven already on board.
They did not load my suitcase as I had something 'Suspicious' inside.
I was called out and had to take it out of my hold luggage and then at least eight people from the different agencies argued about how it should be carried.
Eventually a Jamaican bus driver, nothing to do with security, suggested that someone ask the pilot and he agreed as long as it was wrapped up and not rattling about.
The driver took a polythene wrapper off of someones uniform that was hanging in the mini-bus, wrapped my ammo in that, stuck it round with some tape and felt tipped my name on the outside.
So a football size ball of polythene with 'Eddy' wrote on the outside was taken away and when I got off the plane at Warsaw, the steward on the door handed it back to me, saying this is yours I believe.
There were twelve of us in that party and all the rest packed exactly the same as I and they all got through with no trouble at all.
Apart from that time never a bit of bother since and I travel four times each Winter, but not with BA packing my Rifle and ammo exactly the same way.

PS, rifle in case, bolt in case but not in rifle, it has it's own compartment.

Last edited:
The only thing I've found out is that every airline and airport seems to have different ideas and seem to make it up as they go along.On a trip to Croatia recently half our party had their hold luggage delivered to Customs with the guns when the other halfs came round the carousel
Other times we've had the gun cases come on the carousel and just walked out with them without customs being bothered about them at all

Easyjet seem remarkably good at the firearms and ammunition thing. Now I know someone will have a horror story but there is someone who has had a horror story about every company.

David.

The only thing I've found out is that every airline and airport seems to have different ideas and seem to make it up as they go along.
Bang on the money there, last time i went no problem, this time (same air line) problems, previous time i had all the terms and conditions printed off to quote, this time i didn't and i needed them to hand to prove my point, all ended well in the end though.
Cheers
Richard

I travel a fair amount with rifle and ammunition to Sweden; usually with BMI. I have to have my FAC, EFP and a temporary permit to import issued by the Swedes.

Outgoing, they state that you have to do the following:

1) Inform them at least 48 hours before you fly that you will be travelling with a firearm. This seems to smooth the way as it is noted on your booking.
2) The rifle (and bolt if you wish) have to be in an airline approved lockable case. I use Peli Storm which is lighter than the usual Peli type case.
3) The ammunition must be in a separate lockable case

Costwise, BMI allow you to include the rifle and ammo for free if you don't have any other hold luggage. That's easy for me as my son then brings my clothes in his baggage. (Good of him, eh?). If it is additional, they charge a flat £50.

When you arrive at the airport and check the rest of your luggage, they usually ask you to open the rifle case to prove that it is not loaded and open the ammunition case to confirm quantity and type. You then get a receipt for both and they load it onto the oversize luggage conveyor.

On arrival, you usually report to the baggage office to regain your rifle and ammunition. Customs is often a multiple choice. You declare the firearm, but I have only once had to open the case to prove that the paperwork matches the firearm.

Coming out from Sweden is a little different. They insist that the bolt be not in the firearm, but it can be in the same case. The reason for this (I learned) is that they scan the case to make sure that it isn't loaded.

Entering the UK, I have always had to collect the rifle and ammunition from customs where the rep meets you and a customs officer (that can involve a wait ;) )

It's all pretty much a formality, but it makes a big difference if you get a muppet on the check-in counter who has never seen a firearm before. :D

Hope that helps.

Where does it say your firearm has to be disabled when not in use it is certainly not a condition on my FAC I have never taken my bolt out when stored

Condition 4(b) - ".....reasonable precautions must be taken for the safe custody of the firearm...." - so you could have removed the bolt and rendered the firearm useless to any prospective tealeaf, but did not - is this reasonable? I submit not.

See also the current "Shooting and Conservation" P33 - "How to stay within the law" - fairly specific but only the opinion of a solicitor, so probably pretty worthless??

I'm with Wsm on this one, every time I have traveled with my rifle it was as if it was the first time that anyone at the airport or any of the airline staff had been called upon to deal with such a thing as a customer with a legally held firearm.
BA were the worst, by far! So much so that I doubt I would even try to travel with my rifle via BA routes, it just isn't worth the hassle.
You could try what rabbiter suggests and contact the airline in advance, however, in my experience that serves no purpose but to stir up yet more hassle.
At best it seemed to give the check in staff a heads up that there was another victim headed their way.
At worst I was threatened with having my ticket cancelled without refund - for daring to try to comply with the airline's own guidelines!
Easy Jet have treated me well in the past, even circumventing the airport staff who were just making things unnecessarily complicated.
Croatia Air aren't bad and the staff at Zagreb airport, airline, customs & police all all pretty helpful too.
BMI were inconsistent, everything from poor to mediocre, but never good.
As I said, BA were far and away the worst - travelling other than with firearms they're one of my favourite airlines but I seriously considered never flying with them again after how they treated me when I dared to show up with a rifle.

When travelling with firearms, as the old adage puts it, hope for the best but prepare for the worst

I see your point, Geoshot and I would be inclined to agree, but in the case of BMI their own terms and conditions state that you have to let them know. In their case it was a help. It seems that Menzies are the checking agent for them at the airport and it definitely makes a difference if you get lucky and are served by someone with half a clue. :D

I flew to the US last year using Flybe from Edinburgh to Manchester, then Delta to Atlanta. Flybe wanted the ammo packed inside a secure locked case, with the rifle in another. Delta wanted the ammo in with the rifle.....both stated total ammo weight (not number of rounds) was not to exceed 5kg. Both had stated conditions of carriage for 'special items', but neither website stated that excess baggage fees would apply. Only hassle I had was the useless Flybe rep' at Manchester on my way home, who got the airport police involved as she didn't have a clue. Edinburgh Flybe staff were superb, as were Delta

Agreed rabbitter, if the airline says let them know that you intend to travel with firearms then you have to, not to do so just hands them another stick to beat you with.
As for meeting the one staff member with a clue of what to do - well, seems like I always turn up at the airport on his day off...........
I see your point, Geoshot and I would be inclined to agree, but in the case of BMI their own terms and conditions state that you have to let them know. In their case it was a help. It seems that Menzies are the checking agent for them at the airport and it definitely makes a difference if you get lucky and are served by someone with half a clue. :D

I have flown with rifles 2 or 3 times per year for the past 7 or 8 years. Generally I have no trouble, I usually use Easyjet out of Belfast to and from England and Aer Lingus our of Dublin to wherever in Europe. Both are great and I have had no trouble.

However, travelling back via the UK airports is a major ball-ache. Stansted used to be bearable, but has gotten to be a real pain, particular on a Sunday morning when I am coming home.

Back