Boar Shooting

There are a lot of Boar around my area at the moment, with several distinct family groups that seem to have moved in to feed on the chestnut, beech and acorn harvest. I have been watching this group for some time, but have had no luck from high seats, there has been no activity during daylight hours looking at my cameras, and stalking them at night in the woods is very challenging with all the leaves on the ground at present. I bagged this one last night having tracked the group for about 2 hrs using TI along the wood margins from an adjacent field. I chose a clearing on their projected path with a good safe backdrop, and simply waited until they appeared. Shot taken on sticks at about 90 yds from adjacent field hedgerow, using NV. Hit was behind left ear and there was plenty of time to take the shot as they were all busy slowly rooting around. Many thanks to my farmer mate for the quad and trailer extraction - it would have been a long drag out. :confused: I hope I got the one that trashed my lawn the other night!!
IMG_1276.jpg

Nice one , with a month till Christmas some nice eating , would like to catch one out in our forest up here .

Cheers

It looks similar age to the boar I had. I think mine were about ten or eleven months old.

In case you don't know and are intending to convert this yourself the received wisdom on here is to skin boar.

I was not wise or informed and spent the best part of a day with a propane torch and triangular paint scraper doing my two. The upside was that they looked nice and pink at the end of the process and my butcher mate said they looked almost as clean as domestic pigs. The crackling was good too.

Next time though I will skin and forego the crackling. The meat was amazing, fresh and light, like lamb is to mutton these were to pork.

Alan

Older. The photo's a bit misleading. Here it is later on ready for dressing.
IMG_1279.JPG

I'd say between 2-3years. Shot a similar one last year and my local butcher turned it into enough joints to fill one of those blue Ikea bags, and 60lb of sausages!!

My butcher is great and will take deer with skin on, but for Boar I skin and dress them, and remove the head and feet. I'll go for a neck shot up to 100 yds, any further and I'll go for heart/lungs.

It looks similar age to the boar I had. I think mine were about ten or eleven months old.

In case you don't know and are intending to convert this yourself the received wisdom on here is to skin boar.

I was not wise or informed and spent the best part of a day with a propane torch and triangular paint scraper doing my two. The upside was that they looked nice and pink at the end of the process and my butcher mate said they looked almost as clean as domestic pigs. The crackling was good too.

Next time though I will skin and forego the crackling. The meat was amazing, fresh and light, like lamb is to mutton these were to pork.

Alan

Yep made the same mistake my self I used propane torch with a wire brush won't for get that in a hurry but it made some great eating and I made some bacon as well which was pretty good nice looking boar well dun biggles

Yep made the same mistake my self I used propane torch with a wire brush won't for get that in a hurry but it made some great eating and I made some bacon as well which was pretty good nice looking boar well dun biggles

Sounds intriguing, how did you make the bacon? Was it straightforward?

The recent thread about the venison prosciutto process got me looking forward to the next boar I harvest...and the really good news is that they have been seen back in the wood where I had the last ones.

Alan

Last edited:
Sounds intriguing, how did you make the bacon? Was it straightforward?

The recent thread about the venison prosciutto process got me looking forward to the next boar I harvest...and the really good news is that they have been seen back in the wood where I had the last ones.

Alan
Yes real easy takes 3 days depending on thick ness of meat and that would make green bacon using a dry cure salt salt Peter and brown sugar use sea salt if you find the bacon too salty when eating it soak the slices in water for a few mins got a great flavour to it will leave you wanting more lots of recipes on internet for curing all sorts venison ham is real good too
p.s
smoked is even better all wood give different flavours chestnut is my favourite

Tongmaster.co.uk
Can buy a pack of cure with instructions .... Just add pork !
I must admit i use to mix all my own ingredients I've just checked out that web site and it looks spot on in fact I have ordered some gear off there

Back