Left handed

CHRIS WORLEY

Hi how many of you are Lefthanded and use proper lefthanded rifles/shotguns.I use a l/h beretta o/u and a CZ 425 .22RF My .223 m595 is r/h also my.270 Sako A111 . this never seems to be a problem. What are your views.
icon5.png
:confused:

Same here.

Got L/Hand shotgun but right hand rifles. I have a left hooker 22-250 somewhere but i have not shot for a while.

Hi,
got a left handed browning 525 late last year. Even without a stock extension it is the best move I have ever made in my shotgun shooting.

I have also got a left handed Sako AV in 270 but since I have got it I have not even fired it. I must remedy that soon.

Previously I had always used right handed rifles and something that the guy said at McCleods. He said I am left handed and have always used a right handed rifle. Most of the time you can get away with it except for when you want to keep you eye on a target and reload fast.

When I thought about it, he is absolutely right.

I then changed to a left handed gun.

Ian

Left hooker as well.
I have a LH 223 Tikka 595, a LH 6.5 Tikka 690, a LH CZ452 American .22, a RH CZ452 HMR Varmint, a LH B25 browning 20 bore, a LH Berretta 687 'Classic' and a RH T hepplestone sidelock. i have never been able to hit a thing with the sidelock whether thats because of the stock cast or maybe it's just me, who knows.
I can pick up a right handed rifle and as long as it hasn't got a big cheek piece i can shoot it without thinking about it ( the same way you pick up a single/double trigger shotgun without thinking about it) i shot competetive clays for years with a RH lincoln.
For shooting of a bipod it's easier to use a right hand rifle as you can keep your hand on the pistol grip and cycle the bolt without moving. it is a pain trying to buy LH rifles. they cost more when you buy them then are worth less when you want to sell them.

Ezzy.

Hi

Another one of gods children here. I have a left handed o/u and straight stocked s/s. I use a pistol left handed. My .22LR and .308 are right handed. However I have a .223 which I shoot right handed, rather odd of me!

hi another lefty here,i have no problems really as ezzy said if on sticks easy to cycle bolt but i have started to reach round with my left hand to cylce that way.the only difficulty is being companied on stalks i have to set sticks on the other side of my guide to right handed shooters to keep rifle in the right direction or sit on the other side of the high seat

Another lefty.A relative who was in the D-day landings was a lefty too.The army trainers gave up trying to convert him and as he shot damn well they gave him any other lefties to train. Seems there was a bit of a rush on to get guy's through the training for some reason:)
It's not so good when I want a fast follow up shot with a right hand rifle but otherwise no problems.

fraser

Another lefty:

Got AYA Yeoman S/S with stock adjusted for a L/H, Beretta 686E L/H, Bereta Urika Semi with ajusters for L/H, but with R/H action, Ruger 10/22 for a righty (no L/H available), CZ HMR L/H, Tikka T3 6.5 x 55 L/H.

Thinking of changing the 10/22 and CZ for a Sako Quad with .22 and HMR barrels, but only available in R/H.

cheers

Stu

me 9 i shoot right handed shot guns but my tikka t3 6.5 is a left handed even though i shot right handed rifles up untill 2 years ago !

cheers

Have also always shot left handed as left eye dominant, albeit right handed. Have a heym sr20 .243 with the handle on the correct side. Have used plenty of right handed rifles without too many problems, but much prefer to have the bolt on the correct side. Now also use a combination gun in 7x65r that is ambidextrous.

I do have an old Brno 22 that is right handed, sometime wil get around to changing it to left handed one.

Shotguns are more of an issue. I have an old aya coral, which ihad cast on for a left hander. I can hit anything with it. Give me a gun with right handed cast and any bird is safe. Got a benelli nova for use on the foreshore with non toxic shot-- can, t hit a thing with it.

another lefty grew up taking a lot of stick for it. LH tikka and Sako.very old 22 hornet RH seems odd when I Use now but it still kills crows.Got my shotgun fitted years ago 20mm longer and cast for LH was best move I made.

I am another one of gods chosen ones
I shoot a benelli lh auto and a left hand 687 Beretta and a browning .308win underlever and a .444 marlin under lever and in right hand i use a .303 smle and a 10/22 ruger.
Never had a problem shooting right hand actions but see the looks you get when you give a righty a left handed rifle you would think you just ran his dog over or some thing !!!!!:doh:

Bob.

Yep, another lefty, .308, .204 & .22.
I was told by an "expert" once that you should use the proper hand rifle, its a safety issue, if you get a blowup the rifle is designed to port the blast away from you.

Hi Lads, Pleased to say that I am another of the elite. Adaptable as ever. I have three left hand shotguns. My first rifle was the CF2 in .243 as I needed a rifle quickly as the land owner offered me the deer shooting but wanted me to start immediately. Eventually money and a left hand Sako in 5.6x55 came together and it is my preferred rifle, however, for woodland I have a CF2 stutzen in 6.5x55. I also have two .303 rifles and feel I shoot equally well (badly) with left or right handers.
Question, Why through the ages have english rifle makers ignored left handers.

I am right handed but changed to shooting from the left at about 12 years old due to poor vision in right eye.Have never found the need to buy left handed guns as can shoot right hand rifles and shotguns well

may i also add that with shotgun shooting particulary,most left hand shots i have seen are very good.I think this is because they have made the decision to change because of their master eye whereas a lot of right hand shots are left master eye and have more trouble shooting right handed

Im right handed but shoot off the left shoulder as an eye dominance issue left handed churchill side by side shotgun and left handed cz .17hmr and will be getting a left handed rifle shortly.

George

There seem to be lot's of us here who shoot left handed because of eye dominance, I'm one of them. My father caught me trying to shoot off my right shoulder but with my left eye, that was never going to work. This came to mind earlier today when I saw the odd rifle posted here with the offset scope to allow the user to shoot with the eye furthest from the rifle, very odd solution. I own a very bent over AYA No 4, and three left handed rifles. 2 X Sauer 202's - .243 and 7x64. CZ .22lr American, soon to be joined by a 17 HMR. Currently trying to get GYR's wife to change shoulders before she get's too comfortable shooting right handed with a weak right eye. Poor girl is struggling but I've told her it's worth it in the long run. I do see people with eye patches and the like, but I think I'd find it not only distracting, but also limiting of my peripheral vision. Not good on a bird shoot, where they can come from all angles, nor when looking for deer.

Back