Thread: What tripod for spotting scope?

What tripod for spotting scope?

I want a new tripod for my spotting scope. I will also want to be able to use it for my video camera.

I have seen a few and would like a one with a fluid, ball type head.

What can you recommend. I am looking to spend no more than 150.

I just bought a Sirui tripod and ball head this week for work, my setup cost about 400 and is seriously better than the Manfrotto it replaced. They do a smaller version which would probably be ideal for what you want for 90. They're amazing quality for the price. SIRUI T-005X Tripod with Ballhead - Black/Aluminium: Camera Photo

It depends very much on the application you're going to put it to. -
    For prone / bench shooting the old fashioned folding target scope stands are great & are hard to beat - I use one with an old heavy duty pan & tilt head on it. Rock solid & will hold the heaviest scope.
    For standing up viewing, the Manfrotto 055 tripod (45 new on ebay for the basic ones, a bit more for the ones with tilt flexibility in the centre column adjustment) married to a heavy duty ball head with QD top plate (15 or 20Kg capacity again on ebay about 20) is a very good option, again very solid & these new ball heads are very smooth & secure.
    Fluid heads are great but strong ones cost a fortune even second hand!
    The type of spotting scope again determines which tripod to go for -- Straight in line eyepiece scopes need a much higher tripod than the angled ones.
    Get the heaviest rated tripod & mount that you can comfortably carry - lightweight ones are too flexible & prone to vibration.

Manfrotto or Slik D3 or similar, very stable and top quality, although not always the lightest, you don't get very light, and very stable.......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Last edited by Klenchblaize; 14-11-2014 at 19:13.

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post

Very nice indeed - but not sure it meets all criteria at a grand a pop.....makes the Swaro carbon tripod seem exceptional value.....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Aldi are doing a useful model next week with pan and tilt head etc . for 12.99.
    Why pay an idiotic price for such a basic bit of gear ?

Established Poster
    The Tidal River Tamar
    I use a Cullmann Nanomax 400t tripod (45-55 on amazon) for video recording and laser ranger finding accurately way out there - I'm sure it would also work well with a spotting scope.
    cullmann-foto // DETAIL

It has a surprisingly robust feel (for the money) and the legs can deploy wide enough to ensure it doesn't get buffeted around by the wind or muzzle blast:
    Last edited by Tiff; 14-11-2014 at 20:11.

What about a primo trigger stick, they can take optics and cameras.