Backstop

big ears

Can I ask the great and good on this site. I was out this morning and came across a doe and follower. They were skylined but in a mature wood. Every now and again they walked in front of a large tree (big pine). I didn't but would anyone have felt comfortable using the tree as a backstop?

BE

Not for me, possibility of that bullet coming out at any angle. I have left a good few now to go on their way as the shot wasn't on, as they say there's always another day!

ATB

Bryan

impossible to answer
would I use trees as a backstop? Yes, frequently do with targets
would I use your tree? no idea,
range? shot position? bullet used? distance between target and tree?, elevation?, geography behind, beside trees?

far to many variable to offer anything other than bar stool advice

if you made the choice not to shoot then that was the best choice to be made at the time.

About 50 yards away tree was 2-2.5 ft across, 6.5x55 129gr sst. Deer were about 3 foot in front.

had it not been a skyline shot, and with a firm rest like bipod or such, I'd probably use the tree, but in your case, sounds like you made a sensible choice

thanks guys, it felt unsafe so followed my gut reaction. Just checking. As Jackfish says there is always another day and now another reason to get out there!

BE

You should never feel bad about shots not taken. If it doesn't feel right don't shoot. There will always be another chance another day.

If in doughy don't. I want my backstop to completely fill the field of view in my 6x scope at 100 yds. It means you pass up some shots that may have been ok, but you will have a bullet that clips a rib and comes out at an odd angle. It might be your next beast, it might not be until number 100, but you don't want the bullet going on and hitting something else.

NO way, I my only safe backstop is the third rock from the sun. Hitting a glancing blow on a large bone can deflect the bullet loads and then WTF does it go :(

There have been too many cases of ricochets through the courts to even think about it, there is always tomorrow.

I have read some interesting stuff on SD over the years but to even think of using a tree as a safe backstop on a skylined deer is just simply unbelievable,,:cuckoo: as a shooting community which have the privilege to use firearms we all have a duty to ensure that safety is our no one priority at all times.

A .308 will drill clean through a 18" pine tree, so no, I'd not rely on it, even if the target was a piece of paper pinned to the tree.

impossible to answer
would I use trees as a backstop? Yes, frequently do with targets
would I use your tree? no idea,
range? shot position? bullet used? distance between target and tree?, elevation?, geography behind, beside trees?

far to many variable to offer anything other than bar stool advice

if you made the choice not to shoot then that was the best choice to be made at the time.

Probably the best answer you will get.

On this occasion you didn't take the shot because in your own mind you wasn't sure of a safe result, so that's the right result
Wingy

When younger and stupider (though still plenty old enough to know better), I'd been out for 4-5 blank outings, and out all that day with nothing. Then this gloriously large and unaware roe buck stepped out about 50 yards away. Completely skylined but for a large beech tree.

Desire got the better of me, and I took the shot (a headshot as well, just to make it that little bit worse). Fortunately, it ended well: buck dropped in his tracks and the bullet never exited his head (55gr .222).

But even while walking up to the carcasse, the enormous idiocy of what I'd just done hit me. I spent the drive home considering all the ways it could have gone wrong - and I've never even considered a shot remotely like that again.

I imagine most people will have taken one or two shots that haunt them. They usually end fine, but I think we go away chastened and a lot more cautious. It's really not worth it.

Back